Conservation of Energy rollercoaster

In summary, for the roller coaster at point A, the total energy is 176 KJ, calculated by adding the potential energy (176 KJ) and the initial kinetic energy (0 KJ). At point B, the total energy is still 176 KJ, with the potential energy converted to kinetic energy resulting in a KE of 1600 J.
jhrnndz1
I have a quetion that I worked out and would love to know if I worked it out alright. Here it goes...

A roller coaster of mass 80kg is moving with a speed of 20.0 m/s at position A with a height of 200m. There is no friction and g=10m/s^2.

So basically there's a diagram of a rollercoaster with different points and different heights.

What is the total energy of the rollercoaster at point A?

So, this is at the top of the rollercoaster, so I basically calculated the potential energy. (mass)*(g)*(height).

Next, what is the total energy of the roller coaster at point B, which has no height.

I calculated the kinetic energy 1/2(mass)(v)^2 and got 1600J

Did I do this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
jhrnndz1 said:
I have a quetion that I worked out and would love to know if I worked it out alright. Here it goes...

A roller coaster of mass 80kg is moving with a speed of 20.0 m/s at position A with a height of 200m. There is no friction and g=10m/s^2.

So basically there's a diagram of a rollercoaster with different points and different heights.

So, this is at the top of the rollercoaster, so I basically calculated the potential energy. (mass)*(g)*(height).

Next, what is the total energy of the roller coaster at point B, which has no height.

Did I do this correct?
Aren't you forgetting the initial kinetic energy? HINT: Is energy conserved?

Hello jhrnndz1,

you've missed that the roller coaster has kinetic energy at point A as well.

jhrnndz1 said:

Regards,

nazzard

jhrnndz1 said:

Did I do this correct?

Energy conservation states that total potential + total kinetic = total energy, PE + KE = TE. For your question, TE at point A is 0.5(80)(20)^2 + 80(10)(200) = 176 KJ. At point B, when the roller coaster comes down, its TE is still the same as its PE is converted to KE, thus the roller coaster will have a greater KE, meaning more speed.

Related to Conservation of Energy rollercoaster

What is the Conservation of Energy principle?

The Conservation of Energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

How does the Conservation of Energy principle apply to rollercoasters?

Rollercoasters demonstrate the Conservation of Energy principle as they convert potential energy (stored energy due to height) into kinetic energy (energy of motion) and back again throughout the ride.

What factors affect the Conservation of Energy on a rollercoaster?

The height of the rollercoaster, the mass of the train, and the friction between the wheels and the track all play a role in the Conservation of Energy on a rollercoaster.

Why is understanding Conservation of Energy important for designing rollercoasters?

Understanding Conservation of Energy is crucial for designing safe and thrilling rollercoasters. By applying this principle, engineers can calculate the necessary height and speed of the coaster to ensure a smooth and exciting ride.

Can the Conservation of Energy principle be violated on rollercoasters?

No, the Conservation of Energy principle is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. Any perceived violation is due to human error or external factors, not the principle itself.