Conservation Of Energy With Friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car with a mass of 100kg being pulled along a horizontal surface by a force of 1000N. The car is initially at rest and is pulled for 25 meters. The coefficient of friction between the car and road is 0.6. The conversation then discusses determining the acceleration of the car using the principles of conservation of energy and D'alembert principle. The final solution is an acceleration of 4.114 m/s.
cheese_whizz

Homework Statement

Hi, I am having trouble with this problem. I'ld be very grateful if anyone could help me :) I've only done it with the conservation of energy way because I am not too sure how to go about it with the D'alembert principle.

A Car with a mass of 100kg is pulled along a horizontal surface by a force of 1000N. The car is initially at rest, and is pulled 25 meters. The co-efficient of friction between the car and road is 0.6.

Determine the acceleration of the car using the principle of conservation of energy and D’alemberts principle.

Car Mass: 100kg
Co-efficient of friction is 0.6
N = (mg) = 100 x 9.81 = 981N
Frictional Resistance (Fr) = μN = 0.6x981 = 588.6N
Distance = 25 meters.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Conservation of energy:

PE + KE + Win = PE + KE + Wout + Losses
0 + 0 + (F x Distance) = 0 + (1/2 mv^2)+ 0 + (Fr x distance)

(F x Distance) - (Fr x distance) = 1/2 x mv^2

(1000N x 25meters) – (588.6 x 25 meters) = 1/2 x 1000v^2

(1000N x 25meters) – (588.6 x 25 meters) / (1/2 x 1000) = v^2

47.07 = v^2

6.86 m/s = V

Acceleration is 6.86 m/s

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
cheese_whizz said:
6.86 m/s = V

Acceleration is 6.86 m/s
V is the final velocity, not the acceleration. You'll have to use some kinematics to get the acceleration from the velocity and the distance. (Or just apply Newton's 2nd law.)

hi,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've used this equation before but the lecturer never told me it was kinematics :/

is everything correct now?
ebjDmnG.jpg

thanks again.

Last edited:
cheese_whizz said:
hi,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I've used this equation before but the lecturer never told me it was kinematics :/

is everything correct now?
The kinematic approach is fine, but I see that you made an error in calculating V2 in your first post. Revisit that.

hmm, i did make a mistake

:/

Im getting 4.114 as acceleration now which seems correct

M x a = F
100 x 4.114 = 411.4N

Force - resistive force = F
1000N – 588.6 = 411.4N

So i think I got there :)

Would this be correct for the D'alembert principle method?
VahDnrr.png

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
You got it! :approve:

excellent :) Thanks again for all your help

Related to Conservation Of Energy With Friction

1. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. How does friction affect the conservation of energy?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and converts kinetic energy into thermal energy. This means that some of the energy in a system is lost as heat due to friction, making it harder to maintain the conservation of energy.

3. Can conservation of energy be applied to systems with friction?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy still applies to systems with friction. While some energy may be lost due to friction, the total amount of energy in the system will remain constant.

4. What are some real-life examples of conservation of energy with friction?

One example is a car driving along a road. The car's kinetic energy is converted into thermal energy due to friction between the tires and the road. Another example is a pendulum swinging back and forth, where friction between the pendulum and the air causes the pendulum to eventually come to a stop.

5. How can we reduce the impact of friction on the conservation of energy?

One way to reduce the impact of friction is to use lubricants, which can reduce the amount of friction between two surfaces. Additionally, designing systems with smooth surfaces and minimizing contact between moving parts can also help reduce the effects of friction on energy conservation.