Conservation of Information and indeterminism?

In summary: The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle rules out determinism. As for the rest, I can't bring myself to believe in the holographic principle (although I certainly do believe that Susskind knows more physics than I ever will) so I'll leave that part to others.
AlexSH
I just recently learned about Leonard Susskind's work on conservation of information.
From what I've read and from his lectures, conservation of information and the holographic principle are based on the reversibility of physical laws. Reversibility in turn implies determinism, so if conservation of information holds, then the universe is deterministic.

But isn't the fact that the universe is not deterministic one of the big discoveries of the 20th century?

What am I missing here? How is conservation of information compatible with indeterminism? Or is it that Susskind and other's results regarding conservation of information brought back determinism and refuted indeterminism?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle rules out determinism. As for the rest, I can't bring myself to believe in the holographic principle (although I certainly do believe that Susskind knows more physics than I ever will) so I'll leave that part to others.

We know the past, but we cannot predict the future.

phinds said:
The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle rules out determinism. As for the rest, I can't bring myself to believe in the holographic principle (although I certainly do believe that Susskind knows more physics than I ever will) so I'll leave that part to others.

No it does not. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has no bearing on whether the universe is deterministic in a unfolding sense, irrespective of our observations.

AlexSH said:
But isn't the fact that the universe is not deterministic one of the big discoveries of the 20th century?

No. QM predicts better than any other theory, unambigiously, how the world will evolve in the future. It's just that it predicts it by rather exact probabilities, which is a paradox because probabilities and determinism were long held to be opposites of each other.

Pleonasm said:
No. QM predicts better than any other theory, unambigiously, how the world will evolve in the future. It's just that it predicts it by rather exact probabilities, which is a paradox because probabilities and determinism were long held to be opposites of each other.

Hmm - QM gives us probabilities of the most likely outcome, but it doesn't predict the outcome itself - it's still equivalent to some throw of the dice: more than one outcome is possible. But in a deterministic universe only one outcome is possible.

AlexSH said:
Hmm - QM gives us probabilities of the most likely outcome, but it doesn't predict the outcome itself - it's still equivalent to some throw of the dice:.

That is your inference. Let's take this by way of the dice analogy. You don't know how a dice will land after being thrown, but the universe does. Information is kept from you despite being fully worked out by the laws of physics.

There are several theories to why it doesn't predict exactly what will happen but the macroworld (that is to say Newtonian Mechanics) is fully deterministic, so it would be a state of total chaos if you actually believe that the universe hasn't made up it's mind on the micro level, since the micro and macro coexist.

Last edited:
I too am a Susskind fan. If you watch his lecture series on Classical Physics, you'll see him explain why things aren't reversible even in classical physics and without quantum mechanics. Here is the first lecture. (By the way, the whole course is very entertaining and worth your time).

Saying that the universe knows amounts to a hidden variable theory - weren't those pretty much disproved by Aspect's and subsequent confirmation of the violation of Bell's inequalities?

Pleonasm said:
No it does not. The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has no bearing on whether the universe is deterministic in a unfolding sense, irrespective of our observations.
HUH ? What do our observations have to do with it? Any how do you get determinism when you can't predict where particles are?

Related to Conservation of Information and indeterminism?

1. What is the conservation of information?

The conservation of information is a principle in physics that states that information cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that the total amount of information in a closed system remains constant over time.

2. How does the conservation of information relate to indeterminism?

The conservation of information is closely related to the concept of indeterminism, which is the idea that some events are not determined by prior causes and are therefore unpredictable. In an indeterministic system, information can appear to be created or destroyed, but in reality, it is simply being transferred or transformed.

3. Can the conservation of information be violated?

No, the conservation of information is a fundamental principle in physics and has been observed to hold true in all known physical systems. It is considered a law of nature and cannot be violated.

4. How does the conservation of information impact our understanding of the universe?

The conservation of information has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the universe is a closed system, and any changes or transformations that occur within it must be accounted for by the existing information within the system. This can help us make predictions and understand the underlying principles of physical processes.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of information?

While the conservation of information is a fundamental principle, there are some exceptions that have been observed in certain scenarios, such as in quantum mechanics or black hole thermodynamics. However, these exceptions do not violate the overall principle and can be explained by more complex theories and models.