Conservation of linear momentum.

In summary, the situation discussed is that of a bullet with mass mb and initial speed v0 striking and becoming embedded in a block of mass mc, which is initially at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the surface is uk. The question is whether the friction force over time can be ignored and the conservation of linear momentum can be used for this impact problem. The conversation also includes a link to a specific problem and a picture of the work done. The expert summarizer advises that while momentum can be used to find the initial velocity of the block, it cannot be used for the entire problem as friction takes momentum out of the system. The expert also suggests using kinematic equations for constant acceleration to solve the rest of the problem
whynot314
say a bullet with mass mb and initial speed v0 strikes and becomes embedded in a block of mass mc, which is initially at rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the bock and the surface is uk. ( a situation I set up)

my question is, because its an impact problem. Can I ignore the friction force over time and use the conservation of linear momentum. because I can assume it is a non impulsive force in this situation?
Ive done some other problems similar to this where there is a constant force, and it is included. So I figure I can remove it when it is an impact.

G1+[itex]\int^{t2}_{t1}[/itex][itex]\SigmaFdt[/itex]=G2

here is the Problem
[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/nebula-314/media/20140207_224649_zps5b1d47a5.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/20140207_224649_zps5b1d47a5.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

my work. I am unsure about how to go from here, If I solve for V. I can't really use vdv=ads because I can't assume constant acceleration. And the solution does not have time in it. but this is impulse/momentum equation. So I am not to sure.

[URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/nebula-314/media/20140207_225157_zpse4356e4f.jpg.html][PLAIN]http://i1341.photobucket.com/albums/o745/nebula-314/20140207_225157_zpse4356e4f.jpg[/URL][/PLAIN]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite sure what you mean by "and it is included", but you can't use conservation of momentum for the whole problem. You can to find the initial velocity of the block, but after that friction takes momentum out of the system, so you can't use it for that part.

Likes 1 person
by included i mean that, I use the equation that is written with the friction force integrated with respect to time.

Oh, I see, using impulse. Introducing time into the problem makes it too cumbersome -- you would have to create a second equation with time in order to eliminate it. And you can assume constant acceleration, since when the block is moving, the only force acting along the axis of motion is friction, which is constant. Since you have the initial velocity of the plug, try now finding the initial velocity of both masses.

Likes 1 person
ok, so I take it that means IMMEDIATELY after impact thus.

v=[itex]\frac{Ma\sqrt{2gr}}{(Ma+Mc)}[/itex]

Yes, that looks right. Then it travels a certain distance with a constant frictional force, so you can use those kinematic equations for constant acceleration to solve the rest.

Likes 1 person
Ahhh ok thank you, I thought I could only assume constant acceleration if the only force acting was gravity?

No problem! And no, it just depends on the case. Gravity works because it is constant (at least roughly), and so does kinetic friction since it is also constant (roughly). It's always a good idea to draw out all your forces in a free-body diagram to see what the case is -- that is, constant or variable net force, for a particular problem.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Conservation of linear momentum.

1. What is conservation of linear momentum?

The conservation of linear momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is linear momentum defined?

Linear momentum, also known as simply momentum, is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. Why is conservation of linear momentum important?

Conservation of linear momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is a fundamental principle that is applied in various fields of physics, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

4. How does conservation of linear momentum apply to collisions?

In a collision between two objects, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision must be equal. This means that if one object gains momentum, the other must lose an equal amount of momentum. This principle is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. Can linear momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, linear momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or other interactions. However, the total momentum of the system will always remain constant, according to the law of conservation of momentum.