Conservation of Mechanical Energy-help

In summary: well he's kind of undergoing circular motion so there must be a centripetal force acting on him if he were to go along the crest of the hill without losing contact with it.umm yea yea i get itt,, thanksss a lot for you help :)
moephysics

Homework Statement

A skier starts from rest at the top of a hill. The skier coasts down the hill and up a second hill, as the drawing illustrates. The crest of the second hill is circular, with a radius of . Neglect friction and air resistance. What must be the height h of the first hill so that the skier just loses contact with the snow at the crest of the second hill?

I don't get the last part of this question I mean does the skier lose contact at the crest of the second hill or right before it or right after it. I just need some clarification with that and I've attached the drawing that comes with the problem. Thats all and thank you

Attachments

• ngr022.gif
    ngr022.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 275
Physics news on Phys.org
moephysics said:
I don't get the last part of this question I mean does the skier lose contact at the crest of the second hill or right before it or right after it.
Assume that it means what it says: The skier loses contact at the crest of the hill (right at the top). What does that tell you about the forces on the skier at that point?

Doc Al said:
Assume that it means what it says: The skier loses contact at the crest of the hill (right at the top). What does that tell you about the forces on the skier at that point?

it tells me that he has gained enough kinetic energy so that he won't touch the crest at that point

moephysics said:
it tells me that he has gained enough kinetic energy so that he won't touch the crest at that point
OK, but how much is that? Hint: Consider the forces acting on the skier at that point.

Doc Al said:
OK, but how much is that? Hint: Consider the forces acting on the skier at that point.

well he's kind of undergoing circular motion so there must be a centripetal force acting on him if he were to go along the crest of the hill without losing contact with it.

Last edited:
umm yea yea i get itt,, thanksss a lot for you help :)

Related to Conservation of Mechanical Energy-help

What is the law of conservation of mechanical energy?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy states that in a closed system, the total amount of mechanical energy remains constant. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred or converted from one form to another.

How is mechanical energy conserved?

Mechanical energy is conserved through the transfer or conversion of potential energy and kinetic energy. For example, when a ball is thrown upwards, its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy as it gains height. When it falls back down, its potential energy is converted back into kinetic energy.

What are some examples of mechanical energy?

Some common examples of mechanical energy include a swinging pendulum, a moving car, and a bouncing ball. Mechanical energy is also present in everyday activities such as walking, running, and lifting objects.

What are the limitations of the law of conservation of mechanical energy?

The law of conservation of mechanical energy only applies to closed systems where no external forces, such as friction or air resistance, are acting. In real-world situations, these external forces may cause a decrease in mechanical energy and cannot be ignored.

How is mechanical energy important for sustainability and conservation efforts?

Mechanical energy is a crucial aspect of sustainability and conservation efforts because it allows us to understand how energy is transferred and utilized in natural systems. By understanding this concept, we can develop more efficient and sustainable methods for harnessing and using energy, reducing our impact on the environment.