Conservation of Mechanical Energy

In summary, Lecture 13 of the Newtonian Physics class focused on pendulum experiments and the difference between the equations of motion of a sliding puck and a rolling ball. The first experiment followed the predicted period of oscillation using principles of mechanical energy, but the second experiment with a rolling ball did not. This was due to the rotation of the ball, specifically the moment of inertia.
futb0l
I watched [Lecture 13] of the Newtonian Physics class in http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/index.htm . On the last part of the lecture, they did 2 experiments on pendulums (conservation of mechanical energy, etc.) and the first experiment followed the prediction however, the 2nd experiment did not follow the prediction.

I have thought about it and are unable to come up with an answer, I hope you guys can give me a hint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked in the index rather than sat through the video - was this problem related to the difference between the equations of motion of a sliding puck and a rolling ball?

If so, you might want to think about the moment of inertia of the ball.

the experiment was done during the end of the video ...
anyways - thanks for the hint - i will think about it.

That's way too long to watch - just tell us about the experiments.

oh - oops - actually it wasnt on the puck and the rolling ball
it was the last thing on http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Physics/8-01Physics-IFall1999/VideoLectures/detail/Video-Segment-Index-for-L-13.htm

"The known radius of a circular air track is used to predict the period of oscillation of a sliding object (small angles!), and a measurement is made to confirm this. The process is repeated for a ball bearing rolling in another circular track. The period of oscillation can now not be predicted in a similar way as was possible in the case of the air track. Why? ==> No, it has nothing to do with friction! "

Last edited by a moderator:
Tide said:
That's way too long to watch - just tell us about the experiments.

It's on the last 5 minutes of the video.

Yes - but I'm working with low bandwidth and it will take ages to get there.

Tide said:
Yes - but I'm working with low bandwidth and it will take ages to get there.

it's pretty difficult for me to explain but here it is:

experiment #1:

an object is put on the air track with a radius of ~115m and was released at the starting point and the professor predicted the period using the principles of mechanical energy and simple harmonic oscillation.

experiment #2:

an ball is put on a curvature much smaller than the air track radius ~85cm and it was tested using the same principle of experiment #1 but the result did not agree to the prediction.

btw - it's better to watch the experiment yourself since i might miss some detail ...
and pervect said that it might be through the rotation of the ball - but i am not quite sure...

From what you described, pervect's explanation sounds right on!

futb0l said:
btw - it's better to watch the experiment yourself since i might miss some detail ...
and pervect said that it might be through the rotation of the ball - but i am not quite sure...

I let the video run in the background while I was doing other stuff and managed to see the experiments. Yes, absolutely, the rotation of the second object is what causes the "error!"

The moment of inertia for a sphere (solid & uniform) is [itex]\frac{2}{5}Mr^2[/itex] which would increase the period by a factor of about [itex]\sqrt{1+\frac{2}{5}}[/itex].

ok thanks.

FAQ: Conservation of Mechanical Energy

1. What is the definition of conservation of mechanical energy?

The conservation of mechanical energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another.

2. Why is conservation of mechanical energy important?

Conservation of mechanical energy is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. It allows us to analyze and solve problems involving the motion of objects, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or the speed of a roller coaster.

3. What are some examples of conservation of mechanical energy in everyday life?

Some examples of conservation of mechanical energy in everyday life include a swinging pendulum, a bouncing ball, and a spinning top. In all of these examples, the total mechanical energy (kinetic + potential) remains constant despite changes in the individual energies.

4. How is conservation of mechanical energy related to work and power?

Conservation of mechanical energy is related to work and power through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object equals the change in its kinetic energy. This means that if there is no external work done on a system, the total mechanical energy will remain constant.

5. Are there any exceptions to the conservation of mechanical energy?

In theory, conservation of mechanical energy holds true for all isolated systems. However, in real-world situations, there may be some energy losses due to factors such as friction, air resistance, and heat. These losses are often negligible and do not significantly affect the overall conservation of energy.