Conservation of momemntum and relative velocities

In summary, the problem involves a girl of mass 39.7 kg walking on a plank of mass 101 kg on a frictionless surface. The girl walks at a constant speed of 1.58 m/s to the right relative to the plank. The velocity of the girl relative to the ice surface is 1.58 m/s to the right, while the velocity of the plank relative to the ice surface is -1.58 m/s to the left. Using conservation of momentum, the velocity of the girl with respect to the ice surface is 5.59 m/s. As for the velocity of the plank, it can be calculated using the equation Vg - Vp = 1.58. By solving this equation
FaNgS
This is a problem about relative velocities and conservation of momemtum.

Here is how the problem goes:

A 39.7 kg girl is standing on a 101 kg plank. The plank, originally at rest, is free to slide on a frozen lake, which is a flat, frictionless supporting surface. The girl begins to walk along the plank at a constant speed of 1.58 m/s to
the right relative to the plank.

(a)What is her velocity relative to the ice surface?

(b)What is the velocity of the plank relative to the ice surface?

Working:

The way I'm thinking is that since the girl is moving to the right with a speed v=1.58 m/s then the plank moves (after being at rest) with the same speed v=1.58m/s but in the opposite direction (left) so its more like that the speed of the plank is -1.58 m/s.
Considering that, the ice surface is moving to the right with the same but opposite speed v, which is then 1.58 m/s.

Kinda sounds weird to me. I tried using conservation of momemntum also and said that:

(39.7)(1.58) + (101)(0) = 39.7(V) + (101)(-1.58)
then V is about 5.59 m/s

Please advise

As for part B, i haven't been able to figure that one out. I don't know if conservation of momentum should be used or some other method to solve it.

Help is greatly appreciated

Your truly,

Fangs

Physics news on Phys.org
aww no replies yet

well i found something out but I'm not sure if i understood it correctly from my textbook

the speed of the girl relative to the plank doesn't it mean:
Vg - Vp = 1.58

where Vg is the speed of girl and Vp is the speed of the plank

help is greatly appreciated

FaNgS said:
the speed of the girl relative to the plank doesn't it mean:
Vg - Vp = 1.58

where Vg is the speed of girl and Vp is the speed of the plank
That's correct. Vg and Vp are the speeds of the girl and plank with respect to the ice. Now write the equation for conservation of momentum. You'll have two equations and two unknowns--solve!

FAQ: Conservation of momemntum and relative velocities

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event must be equal to the total momentum after the event. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains constant, during a collision or interaction between objects.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The equation for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

3. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another object. This means that the velocity of an object can change depending on the reference point or frame of reference being used. For example, a car traveling at 60 mph may have a different relative velocity when observed from a stationary point versus when observed from another moving car.

4. How does conservation of momentum apply to collisions?

When two objects collide, the total momentum before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the individual momentums of the objects involved will be the same before and after the collision. This law allows us to predict the outcome of collisions and calculate unknown velocities or masses.

5. Can the law of conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that has been observed and tested extensively. While it may seem like momentum is being lost in some collisions, this is due to factors like friction and external forces, which can be accounted for in calculations. In a closed system, momentum will always be conserved.