Conservation of Momentum in an Elastic Collision

In summary, when a moving ball collides with a stationary ball in a totally elastic collision, conservation of momentum is demonstrated. The formula for conservation of momentum, p1i + p2i = p1f + p2f, shows that the initial momentums of both balls, p1i and p2i, will equal the final momentums, p1f and p2f. This means that the total momentum of the system will remain the same before and after the collision. In this situation, the ball in motion will stop and the ball at rest will assume the total velocity. The formula p = mv and the equation F = ma can be used to calculate the momentum and acceleration of the balls.
mrhingle
Work out in detail the situation in which a moving all collides with a stationary ball in a totally elastic collision. Assume the balls have the same mass when doing this calculation. How does conservation of momentum show itself in this situation?

p = mv F = ma p1i + p2i = p1f + p2f

I assume the ball in motion stops and the ball at rest assumes the total velocity? Don't know how to describe this mathematically. Don't really understand how to explain it verbally either. Just remember it from good ole' marbles.

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the ball in motion stops and the ball at rest assumes the total velocity?

Yes.

p = mv F = ma p1i + p2i = p1f + p2f

I don't quite understand what you wrote down here.

Because it is an elastic collision momentum will be conserved. What does the formula for conservation of momentum look like? Which variables will be 0 (and there for contribute to 0 momentum) before and after the collision?

Related to Conservation of Momentum in an Elastic Collision

1. What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that in any interaction between objects within the system, the total momentum before and after the interaction must be equal.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved through the exchange of momentum between the objects involved. The total momentum before the collision must be equal to the total momentum after the collision. This can be seen in both elastic and inelastic collisions.

3. Is momentum conserved in all types of interactions?

Yes, momentum conservation holds true for all types of interactions, including collisions, explosions, and even gravitational interactions. As long as the system is closed and there are no external forces acting on it, momentum will be conserved.

4. What is the equation for momentum conservation?

The equation for momentum conservation is: pinitial = pfinal, where p represents momentum. This equation states that the initial momentum of a system must be equal to the final momentum of the system.

5. How is momentum conserved in an isolated system?

In an isolated system, there are no external forces acting on the system, so the total momentum of the system must remain constant. This means that any changes in the momentum of one object must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in the momentum of another object within the system.