Conservation of Momentum in Classical Field Theory

In summary, classical field theory shows that translational symmetry leads to the derivation of the energy-momentum tensor using Noether's theorem. This leads to the derivation of four conserved charges, with the first being the Hamiltonian and the remaining three being the momentum components. The conservation of momentum can be easily seen through the use of the Lagrangian and the equation of motion. By definition, the conserved quantity due to spatial translations is momentum. To further understand this, one can consider concrete Lagrangians or use the concept of relativistic covariance.
fayled
In classical field theory, translational (in space and time) symmetry leads the derivation of the energy-momentum tensor using Noether's theorem.

From this it is possible to derive four conserved charges. The first turns out to be the Hamiltonian, and thus we have energy conservation.

The remaining three turn out to be
Pi=-∫d3aiφa
where φa are fields and πa are their conjugate momentum densities. It is often stated that these are the three (physical) momentum components, and so we have conservation of momentum. Is there an easy way to see that this is true?

Physics news on Phys.org
fayled said:
Is there an easy way to see that this is true?
If you are asking to prove that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}P^{i} = 0[/itex] , then the answer to your question is an easy yes. Translation invariance means that the Lagrangian, [itex]\mathcal{L}(\varphi_{a},\dot{\varphi}_{a},\partial_{k}\varphi_{a})[/itex] , has no explicit [itex]x^{k}[/itex]-dependence, i.e., [itex]\partial^{i}\mathcal{L} = 0[/itex] . This implies that [tex]\int d^{3}x \ \partial^{i}\mathcal{L} = 0 .[/tex]

The rest is just algebra: Calculate [itex]\partial^{i}\mathcal{L}[/itex] and use the equation of motion to obtain

[tex]0 = \int d^{3}x \ \partial^{i}\mathcal{L} = \frac{d}{dt} \int d^{3}x \ \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\varphi_{a}}} \ \partial^{i}\varphi_{a} + \int d^{3}x \ \partial_{k}\left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \partial_{k} \varphi_{a}} \ \partial^{i}\varphi_{a}\right) .[/tex] The second term vanishes by the divergence theorem, and the first term is just [itex]\frac{d}{dt}P^{i}[/itex].

samalkhaiat said:
If you are asking to prove that [itex]\frac{d}{dt}P^{i} = 0[/itex] , then the answer to your question is an easy yes. Translation invariance means that the Lagrangian, [itex]\mathcal{L}(\varphi_{a},\dot{\varphi}_{a},\partial_{k}\varphi_{a})[/itex] , has no explicit [itex]x^{k}[/itex]-dependence, i.e., [itex]\partial^{i}\mathcal{L} = 0[/itex] . This implies that [tex]\int d^{3}x \ \partial^{i}\mathcal{L} = 0 .[/tex]

The rest is just algebra: Calculate [itex]\partial^{i}\mathcal{L}[/itex] and use the equation of motion to obtain

[tex]0 = \int d^{3}x \ \partial^{i}\mathcal{L} = \frac{d}{dt} \int d^{3}x \ \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\varphi_{a}}} \ \partial^{i}\varphi_{a} + \int d^{3}x \ \partial_{k}\left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \partial_{k} \varphi_{a}} \ \partial^{i}\varphi_{a}\right) .[/tex] The second term vanishes by the divergence theorem, and the first term is just [itex]\frac{d}{dt}P^{i}[/itex].

I'm happy that this quantity is conserved - It just isn't very clear that it is in fact the momentum.

Then you should consider some concrete Lagrangians (for example the Lagrangian of electromagnetic, long elastic rod, sound wave, etc.). Or you can use the argument of relativistic covariance.

Well, it's momentum by definition, because the conserved quantity that's conserved because of spatial translations is called momentum (as for temporal translations it's called energy).

Related to Conservation of Momentum in Classical Field Theory

1. What is conservation of momentum in classical field theory?

Conservation of momentum in classical field theory is a fundamental law that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant over time, unless an external force acts on the system. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum of all the particles or objects within the system will remain the same, regardless of any internal interactions or movements.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to classical field theory?

In classical field theory, conservation of momentum is extended to include not just individual particles, but also continuous fields of energy and momentum. This means that the total momentum of all particles and fields within a system must remain constant, even as they interact and transfer momentum to each other.

3. What is the mathematical equation for conservation of momentum in classical field theory?

The mathematical equation for conservation of momentum in classical field theory is given by the continuity equation: ∂ρ/∂t + ∇•j = 0, where ρ represents the density of momentum and j represents the flux of momentum through a given surface. This equation represents the conservation of momentum at a local level, taking into account the transfer and exchange of momentum within a system.

4. What are some real-world applications of conservation of momentum in classical field theory?

Conservation of momentum in classical field theory has numerous real-world applications, including in the fields of mechanics, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. This principle is used to explain phenomena such as the motion of planets, the behavior of fluids in pipes, and the propagation of electromagnetic waves. It is also essential in the design and functioning of various technologies, such as rockets, airplanes, and turbines.

5. Are there any exceptions to conservation of momentum in classical field theory?

While conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in classical field theory, there are a few exceptions to this principle. One exception is in the case of non-conservative forces, such as friction, where energy is lost and the total momentum of a system may not remain constant. Additionally, in quantum mechanics, the uncertainty principle allows for temporary violations of conservation of momentum at a microscopic level. However, these exceptions do not invalidate the overall principle of conservation of momentum in classical field theory.