Conservation of momentum of cannon balls

In summary, it is too difficult to model the flow of water around the canoe, as it moves. To predict it theoretically.
overside
EDIT: MASS OF CANOE IS ACTUALLY 50G I typed it wrong the 1st time :/

Homework Statement

50kg girl sits in a 50kg canoe at rest on the water. She holds two 10 kg cannon balls. she throws them over the stern of her canoe one at a time, each ball leaving her hands at a velocity of 5.0m/s relative to the canoe. what is the final velocity of the canoe, neglecting friction between boat&water?

Homework Equations

ΣP = ΣP'
P = MV

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand, probably misunderstood key concepts but I tried anyway.

1) finding momentum of 1st ball...
P = 5.0m/s * 10kg
=50 N*s

2) speed of boat after that 1st ball...
V = P/m
=50 N*S / (50kg + 50kg + 10kg)
=0.45m/s

3) here it gets tricky i think, and where I am lost. Because the speed is relative to canoe the speed of the 2nd ball should be

V= 5.0 m/s + 0.45 m/s = 5.45m/s ??

therefore

momentum of 2nd ball = 5.45m/s * 10kg = 54.5 N.s

and for the canoe's final velocity..

V = P/m
= 54.5 N.s / (50kg + 50kg)
= 0.54 m/smy answer books gives me 0.87 m/s and I am lost, so help pleeease ;D

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My Lord!
Once again a school excercise forcing pupils to assume that dynamics of canoe floating on the water is the same as canoe on ice (frictionless move - frozen lake).

The real physical answer is: 'it is too dificult to model the flow of water around the canoe, as it moves. to predict it theoretically'.

Friction has really no significance. But in order to move the canoe, you must also move some water (displaced by the canoe). And it is extremely difficult to solve theoretically physical problem, depending on canoe shape, water depth, etc. In practice - even shipyar engineers do not solve it theoretically - they check it in practice, on ship models dragged in a pool.

Last edited:
xts said:
My Lord!
Once again a school excercise forcing pupils to assume that dynamics of canoe floating on the water is the same as canoe on ice (frictionless move - frozen lake).

The real physical answer is: 'it is too dificult to model the flow of water around the canoe, as it moves. to predict it theoretically'.

Friction has really no significance. But in order to move the canoe, you must also move some water (displaced by the canoe). And it is extremely difficult to solve theoretically physical problem, depending on canoe shape, water depth, etc. In practice - even shipyar engineers do not solve it theoretically - they check it in practice, on ship models dragged in a pool.

Well, I highly doubt my teacher will let me walk away if I told him what you said even if its true ...

you know how to solve this problem the way it is intented though? for the sake of me passing my next test, pleeease tell me how anyway D:

overside said:
1) finding momentum of 1st ball...
P = 5.0m/s * 10kg
=50 N*s

2) speed of boat after that 1st ball...
V = P/m
=50 N*S / (50kg + 50kg + 10kg)
=0.45m/s

You need the momentum of the ball with respect to the ground, but you calculated it with respect to the boat.

Think: The ball has to accelerate to its final speed, 5 m/s with respect to the boat, before it is thrown. As the girl starts to move the ball the boat accelerates backwards. When the ball leaves the girl's hand, the boat has a forward velocity v, and the ball moves in the opposite direction, with velocity u=v-5. The total momentum is zero. Find the velocity of the boat after the first ball has been thrown.
Apply the same method for the second ball, with the new momentum of the boat.

(Taking Xts' comment into account, pretend that the boat is really a sledge on ice :wink:)

ehild

ehild already helped you to pass the test ;)

But... as you finally pass it - ask your teacher to explain how real boat behaves in such situation. Press him for details about water flow around the canoe. And what happens when the canoe suddenly gets lighter by 10kg - as the girl throws out the cannonball. That is really something terribly difficult to describe theoretically, but such effects are overwhelming to "sledge dynamics" of two-body momentum conservation, you were asked to solve.

Maybe, next time, he'll give to you (and other schoolchildren) more realistic examples...

ehild said:
You need the momentum of the ball with respect to the ground, but you calculated it with respect to the boat.

Think: The ball has to accelerate to its final speed, 5 m/s with respect to the boat, before it is thrown. As the girl starts to move the ball the boat accelerates backwards. When the ball leaves the girl's hand, the boat has a forward velocity v, and the ball moves in the opposite direction, with velocity u=v-5. The total momentum is zero. Find the velocity of the boat after the first ball has been thrown.
Apply the same method for the second ball, with the new momentum of the boat.

(Taking Xts' comment into account, pretend that the boat is really a sledge on ice :wink:)

ehild

arghh this is just making no sense to me, in fact I think i may be able to understand if you could just explain 1 point to me:

this is my teacher's answers key: http://fizics.com/physics30/answers/pdf/Lesson02.pdf
(Scroll down to #12, Girl part)

My teacher labled the V1 as 5.0m/s + V2(speed of boat) which i really don't understand why, if you can enlighten me on this part, then I will probably figure the problem out :D

Last edited by a moderator:
NVM BROS i figured it out, so simple in fact. Empty stomach does things to you !

I can not see your link.

The relative velocity of the ball is 5 m/s, then V(ball) = V(boat)+5 is correct, but in this case you get negative value for the velocity of the boat.

If you have a body moving with velocity v and an other one moving with V, then the relative velocity of the first body with respect to the second one is defined as v(rel)=v-V. If the relative velocity is given, v=V+v(rel)

I chose the relative velocity negative as the ball moves in opposite direction as the boat. My method gives a positive number for the velocity of the boat.

ehild

Related to Conservation of momentum of cannon balls

What is conservation of momentum of cannon balls?

The conservation of momentum of cannon balls is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum of all the cannon balls before and after they are fired must be equal.

How is conservation of momentum of cannon balls applied?

Conservation of momentum of cannon balls is applied in many real-world situations, such as understanding the motion of projectiles, designing efficient rocket engines, and predicting the outcomes of collisions between objects.

What factors affect conservation of momentum of cannon balls?

The conservation of momentum of cannon balls is affected by the mass, velocity, and direction of the cannon balls before and after they are fired. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance and friction can also impact the conservation of momentum.

What happens if conservation of momentum of cannon balls is not conserved?

If conservation of momentum of cannon balls is not conserved, it means that there is an external force acting on the system. This can result in a change in the momentum of the system, leading to unpredictable and potentially dangerous outcomes.

Can conservation of momentum of cannon balls be violated?

No, conservation of momentum of cannon balls is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and proven to hold true in all situations. However, in some cases, it may seem like momentum is not conserved, but this is due to external forces that are not accounted for.