Conservation of Momentum Problem

In summary, the problem involves three objects - A, B, and C - with different materials and equal masses. When ball B collides with A, it ends up at rest, but when it collides with C, it rebounds to the left. By using the equation Pi = Pf and rearranging the equations for A and C, we can compare their final velocities after the collisions. By taking the ratio of VAf and VCf, we can determine which is greater.
Glorzifen

Homework Statement

Objects A and C are made of different materials, with different
“springiness,” but they have the same mass and are initially at
rest. When ball B collides with object A, the ball ends up at rest.
When ball B is thrown with the same speed and collides with
object C, the ball rebounds to the left. Compare the velocities of
A and C after the collisions. Is vA greater than, equal to, or less
than vC?

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf

The Attempt at a Solution

A: mb(Vbi) = mVAf
B: mbVBi = mbVBf + mvCf

Now...I can see that:
VAf= mb(Vbi)/m
VCf = (mb(Vbi) - mbVBf )/m

I don't think I can say, from the above equations which is bigger (VAf or VCf)...do I have to sub one into the other now? How do I continue the solution? Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First off equation B is incorrect. If the ball rebounds to the left, its final velocity should be negative.

Change the sign as indicated above and proceed as you did. Then take the ratio VAf/VCf. Is it greater or less than one?

FAQ: Conservation of Momentum Problem

1. What is the conservation of momentum problem?

The conservation of momentum problem is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total amount of momentum before an event, such as a collision, is equal to the total amount of momentum after the event.

2. Why is the conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that is necessary for understanding and predicting the motion of objects. It also helps to explain and solve various real-world problems, such as collisions and explosions.

3. How is the conservation of momentum problem solved?

The conservation of momentum problem is solved by using the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. This principle can be applied to equations involving the masses and velocities of objects involved in the event.

4. What is an example of a conservation of momentum problem?

An example of a conservation of momentum problem is when two objects collide and stick together. In this situation, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This principle can be used to calculate the final velocity of the objects after the collision.

5. What are the limitations of the conservation of momentum problem?

The conservation of momentum problem has limitations when applied to systems that are not closed or when external forces are present. In these cases, the total momentum of the system may not remain constant, and the principle of conservation of momentum cannot be applied accurately.

Back