Conserved quantity for a particle in Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian for a particle with mass and electric charge moving in a uniform magnetic field. The quantity Q, which is the dot product of the Lagrangian and magnetic field, is proven to be a constant of motion. The Hamiltonian is found to only have a term for kinetic energy and does not include a potential term due to the magnetic field not doing any work on the particle. The vector potential can also be used to express the Hamiltonian.
Siberion

Homework Statement

Consider a particle of mass m and electric charge e moving in a uniform magnetic field given by B = Bẑ. Then the Lagrangian is given by:

[tex]L = \frac{m}{2}(x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2) + \frac{Be}{2}(xy' - yx')[/tex]

Prove that [tex]Q={L} \cdot{B} + \frac{e}{2}((r \times B)(r \times B))[/tex] is a constant of motion, where L = r x p is the angular momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

I proceeded to calculate the conjugated momenta,

[tex]Px = mx' - ey/2[/tex]
[tex]Py = my' + ex/2[/tex]
[tex]Pz = mz'[/tex]

Then I calculated the Hamiltonian. A lot of terms vanished and I ended up with just kinetic energy.

[tex]H = \frac{m}{2} (x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2)[/tex] which is a conserved quantity.

I was expecting to also end up with a term for the potential. Is this caused by the fact that the magnetic field does no work on the particle so it doesn't affect the total energy?

I expressed the hamiltonian in terms of the generalized momenta:

[tex]H= \frac{m}{2}(Px^2 + Py^2 + Pz^2 + \frac{(Be^2)(x^2+y^2)}{4}+eB(yPx-xPy))[/tex]I tried re-arranging Q in terms of the vector position r = xî + yĵ + zk , while p would correspond to m(x' + y' + z')

After doing dot and cross product operations, I ended up with the following expression for Q:

[tex]Q = (xy' - yx')B + (e{B^2}/2) (x^2 + y^2)[/tex]

which doesn't depend on z nor z', which gives me trouble when relating terms to the hamiltonian.

Is there any flaw in my procedure? I've tried rearranging terms, playing with algebra, but I don't come up with anything satisfactory.

Also, is the quantity Q a well known quantity? Is there something too obvious I'm missing here?

Thanks for your help. It is really, really appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Siberion said:
Then I calculated the Hamiltonian. A lot of terms vanished and I ended up with just kinetic energy.

[tex]H = \frac{m}{2} (x'^2 + y'^2 + z'^2)[/tex] which is a conserved quantity.

I was expecting to also end up with a term for the potential. Is this caused by the fact that the magnetic field does no work on the particle so it doesn't affect the total energy?

I expressed the hamiltonian in terms of the generalized momenta:

[tex]H= \frac{m}{2}(Px^2 + Py^2 + Pz^2 + \frac{(Be^2)(x^2+y^2)}{4}+eB(yPx-xPy))[/tex]

In a uniform magnetic field, the scalar potential ##\phi## can be chosen to be zero. The vector potential ##\textbf{A}## can be chosen as ##\textbf{A} = \textbf{B} \times \textbf{r}/2 ##, so you could express the Hamiltonian in terms of the vector potential if you wished.

I tried re-arranging Q in terms of the vector position r = xî + yĵ + zk , while p would correspond to m(x' + y' + z')

After doing dot and cross product operations, I ended up with the following expression for Q:

[tex]Q = (xy' - yx')B + (e{B^2}/2) (x^2 + y^2)[/tex]

which doesn't depend on z nor z', which gives me trouble when relating terms to the hamiltonian.

Is there any flaw in my procedure? I've tried rearranging terms, playing with algebra, but I don't come up with anything satisfactory.

It all looks ok to me. Try taking the time derivative of ##Q## and see if it equals zero.

Thanks a lot TSny, according to what I calculated, using E-L equations, its derivative indeed equals to zero. I got lost trying to rearrange the Hamiltonian, I should have checked the derivative of Q at first.

Related to Conserved quantity for a particle in Magnetic Field

1. What is a conserved quantity for a particle in a magnetic field?

A conserved quantity for a particle in a magnetic field is a physical property that remains constant as the particle moves within the field. It is a fundamental principle in physics that states that certain quantities, such as energy and momentum, cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed.

2. How is the conserved quantity for a particle in a magnetic field related to the magnetic field itself?

The conserved quantity for a particle in a magnetic field is directly related to the strength and direction of the magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field exerts a force on the particle, causing it to move in a curved path. The conserved quantity is a result of the particle's motion within the magnetic field.

3. What are some examples of conserved quantities for a particle in a magnetic field?

Some examples of conserved quantities for a particle in a magnetic field include the particle's kinetic energy, momentum, and angular momentum. These quantities remain constant as the particle moves within the magnetic field, regardless of any changes in the magnetic field itself.

4. How does the conservation of energy apply to a particle in a magnetic field?

The conservation of energy applies to a particle in a magnetic field because the particle's energy, in the form of kinetic energy, remains constant as it moves within the field. The magnetic field may do work on the particle, but this work is balanced by the change in the particle's kinetic energy, resulting in a conserved quantity.

5. Why is the concept of a conserved quantity important in understanding the behavior of particles in a magnetic field?

The concept of a conserved quantity is important in understanding the behavior of particles in a magnetic field because it allows us to make predictions about the particle's motion and the effects of the magnetic field. By knowing that certain quantities are conserved, we can better understand how the particle will respond to the magnetic field and make accurate calculations and predictions.

Back