Considering REU without research experience

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of applying for REUs without any prior research experience. The individual is interested in nanoelectronics but has only self-studied the subject and is unsure if this can be considered as research experience. It is suggested to mention the self-study in the application or cover letter, but not as research experience. The dates for REU applications are typically in February or March.
aspiring_one
Considering REU without "research" experience

Hello PF,

I know REU's are starting (or at least most of them) but I'm planning for the next summer. I researched a couple and read about what they consider for admission to their program. Most of them list "Research Experience" as such. I myself have yet to get into an undergrad research position.

My interests really lie in nanoelectronics but I haven't yet reached my upper division physics classes (chem/physics double major) so I just read about the field from books and try to see what its all about. While I can understand most of the concepts, the technical speak about DFT, Schrodingers Equation, and band theory and the like are a bit cloudy. Most of the research (i guess if you can call it that) i am doing is just reading and trying to come up with my own ideas and asking myself some questions.
I was wondering if I could list this type of work down when applying or if it would just be better to say "no research".

Thanks PF

Physics news on Phys.org

aspiring_one said:
Hello PF,

I know REU's are starting (or at least most of them) but I'm planning for the next summer. I researched a couple and read about what they consider for admission to their program. Most of them list "Research Experience" as such. I myself have yet to get into an undergrad research position.

My interests really lie in nanoelectronics but I haven't yet reached my upper division physics classes (chem/physics double major) so I just read about the field from books and try to see what its all about. While I can understand most of the concepts, the technical speak about DFT, Schrodingers Equation, and band theory and the like are a bit cloudy. Most of the research (i guess if you can call it that) i am doing is just reading and trying to come up with my own ideas and asking myself some questions.
I was wondering if I could list this type of work down when applying or if it would just be better to say "no research".

Thanks PF

My REU may have been my first research experience. I did some small things here and there before the REU, but nothing significant.

The school may ask for any previous research experience, but I doubt they require any previous research experience for their applicants.

I've been told that its a lot of hit and miss type stuff. Does anyone know when the dates for the next REU usually come out? I'm guessing sometime in the beginning of fall?

thanks for your reply

You can list self-study in your application, but I definitely wouldn't list it as research experience (because it's not). But you can always thread it into your cover letter or application, since it does show interest in going beyond just the coursework. This way I don't think it can hurt, as I'm pretty sure they actually look for people like that. So just don't state you've done something you haven't (i.e. research) and you'll be fine.

Ryker said:
You can list self-study in your application, but I definitely wouldn't list it as research experience (because it's not). But you can always thread it into your cover letter or application, since it does show interest in going beyond just the coursework. This way I don't think it can hurt, as I'm pretty sure they actually look for people like that. So just don't state you've done something you haven't (i.e. research) and you'll be fine.

Just what I was about to ask thank you.

aspiring_one said:
I've been told that its a lot of hit and miss type stuff. Does anyone know when the dates for the next REU usually come out? I'm guessing sometime in the beginning of fall?

thanks for your reply

If I recall correctly, apps for REUs are usually due around February or March. You can always visit the websites for the REUs you're interested in and see when the apps were due this year. Chances are, next year's apps will be due around the same time.

Related to Considering REU without research experience

1. What is an REU program?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) program is a summer research program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that provides undergraduate students with the opportunity to gain hands-on research experience in their field of study.

2. Can I apply for an REU program without any prior research experience?

Yes, many REU programs welcome students with little to no research experience. These programs are designed to provide students with their first research experience and are often a great way to explore different areas of research.

3. What are the benefits of participating in an REU program without research experience?

Participating in an REU program without research experience can provide you with valuable skills and knowledge that will help you in future research endeavors. It can also help you determine if research is something you would like to pursue as a career.

4. Are there any requirements to apply for an REU program without research experience?

While requirements may vary for each program, most REU programs require applicants to be undergraduate students in good academic standing and have a strong interest in the research topic. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation and a personal statement.

5. How can I prepare for an REU program without research experience?

To prepare for an REU program without research experience, you can start by familiarizing yourself with the research topic and reading relevant articles and publications. You can also reach out to the program coordinator or past participants for tips and advice. Additionally, you can work on developing skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management.