Constant Acceleration of a cheetah

In summary, the problem states that a cheetah is hunting and its prey runs for 3.2 seconds at a constant velocity of +10.0 m/s. The question asks for the constant acceleration needed for the cheetah to run the same distance as its prey in the same amount of time. Using the kinematic equation d = vo*t + 1/2*a*t^2, the solution is found to be 6.25 m/s^2.
12345ME

Homework Statement

A cheetah is hunting. Its prey runs for 3.2 s at a constant velocity of +10.0 m/s. Starting from rest, what constant acceleration must the cheetah maintain in order to run the same distance as its prey runs in the same time?

Homework Equations

V=Vo + a(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I plug in the numbers to get 3.1 m/s but i know I am missing something. Help with answer would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the distance traveled by the cheetah?
Use the kinematic equation d = vo*t + 1/2*a*t^2 to find a.

this is all the problem says, doesn't give a distance.

12345ME said:
this is all the problem says, doesn't give a distance.
Velocity of the cheetah is given, time taken be it is given. What is the relation between distance, velocity and time?

12345ME said:
A cheetah is hunting. Its prey runs for 3.2 s at a constant velocity of +10.0 m/s.

What distance does the prey runs?

Starting from rest, what constant acceleration must the cheetah maintain in order to run the same distance as its prey runs in the same time?

You know the d now, t is 3.2s ... find a

still have no idea what the distance is

12345ME said:
still have no idea what the distance is
Open any textbook and find the relation between velocity, distance and time.

distance= velocity x time right?

12345ME said:
distance= velocity x time right?
Right.

but when you use d = vo*t + 1/2*a*t^2

i get 0= 1/2*a*3.2^2

which equals 0

lost

12345ME said:
lost

d = 3.2 s*10 m/s

rl.bhat said:
d = 3.2 s*10 m/s

ya but so does Vo*t on the right side of the equation so they cancel each other out

it comes out to
32=32 + 1/2*a*3.2^2
0=1/2*a*3.2^2
?

12345ME said:
it comes out to
32=32 + 1/2*a*3.2^2
0=1/2*a*3.2^2
?
Initial velocity of cheetah is zero.

6.25 thank you!

FAQ: Constant Acceleration of a cheetah

1. What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time, while maintaining a constant direction. It is usually measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How does constant acceleration apply to cheetahs?

Cheetahs are known for their incredible speed and agility, which is achieved through constant acceleration. This means that they are constantly increasing their velocity while running in a straight line, allowing them to reach their maximum speed of up to 75 mph in a short amount of time.

3. How do scientists measure the constant acceleration of a cheetah?

Scientists use various methods to measure the constant acceleration of a cheetah, including video analysis and tracking devices. These tools allow them to track the cheetah's velocity over time and calculate its acceleration.

4. What factors can affect the constant acceleration of a cheetah?

There are several factors that can affect the constant acceleration of a cheetah, such as the terrain it is running on, its physical condition, and the presence of obstacles. Additionally, external factors like wind resistance can also impact its acceleration.

5. Can the constant acceleration of a cheetah change over time?

Yes, the constant acceleration of a cheetah can change over time depending on various factors. As the cheetah runs, it may experience fatigue or encounter different terrain, which can affect its acceleration. Additionally, as the cheetah grows and develops, its physical abilities and acceleration may also change.

Back