Constant Acceleration of woodpecker Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the acceleration magnitude of a woodpecker's head as it makes contact with a tree limb. The known parameters include the initial velocity, displacement, and the equation v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0). The solution is found to be a = -1.500 x 10^4m/s^2, but to find the magnitude in terms of g, the value is divided by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8m/s^2) and the absolute value is taken. This results in an acceleration magnitude of a = (1.53x10^3). The conversation also touches on the meaning of "in terms of g" and the use of
mcdowellmg

Homework Statement

The head of a woodpecker is moving forward at a speed of 7.49 m/s when the beak makes first contact with a tree limb. The beak stops after penetrating the limb by 1.87 mm. Assuming the acceleration to be constant, find the acceleration magnitude in terms of g.

Know: velocity (v) = 0, initial velocity (v0) = 7.49m/s, and displacement during acceleration (x-x0) is 1.87x10^-3m.

Homework Equations

v^2 = v0^2 + 2a(x-x0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given the solution, but do not understand where a certain figure comes from. They plug the known quantities into the equation to get 0^2 = 7.49^2 + 2a(1.87*10^-3m), which algebraically reduce to a = -1.500 x 10^4m/s^2.
However, the next step loses me. They divide by g = 9.8m/s^2, take the absolute value, and that gives the magnitude of the head's acceleration is a = (1.53x10^3).

Where does that 9.8m/s^2 come from?! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
g=9.8m/sec^2 is the acceleration due to gravity on the Earth's surface. It's often called a 'gee'.

Thank you very much! I did not know that.

Then what did you think "find the acceleration magnitude in terms of g" meant?

Honestly, I had no idea. I guess I blanked out the 'in terms of g' when I read the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Constant Acceleration of woodpecker Problem

1. What is the "Constant Acceleration of Woodpecker Problem"?

The Constant Acceleration of Woodpecker Problem is a physics problem that involves a hypothetical scenario where a woodpecker is continuously accelerating while pecking at a tree.

2. What is the purpose of studying this problem?

The purpose of studying this problem is to understand the concept of constant acceleration and its effects on an object's motion. It also helps to improve problem-solving skills and apply mathematical equations to real-world scenarios.

3. How is this problem related to real-life situations?

This problem is related to real-life situations because it involves the concept of constant acceleration, which is seen in various everyday occurrences such as car acceleration, elevator movement, and projectile motion.

4. What are the key factors to consider in solving this problem?

The key factors to consider in solving this problem are the initial velocity of the woodpecker, its acceleration rate, and the time elapsed. Other factors such as air resistance and gravitational force may also be considered, depending on the specific problem.

5. What are the common misconceptions about this problem?

One common misconception about this problem is that the woodpecker's acceleration will continue to increase indefinitely. In reality, the acceleration will eventually reach a maximum value due to factors such as air resistance and the bird's physical limitations. Another misconception is that the woodpecker will continuously peck at the same rate, but in reality, it may slow down or pause at certain intervals.