Constant angular speed loop of wire

In summary: So, what is the torque?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the torque needed for a loop of wire rotating at a constant angular velocity in a magnetic field. Using Faraday's law and the cross-product, the torque is found to be equal to IABsin(ωt), with I being the current flowing through the loop.
darksyesider

Homework Statement

You have a loop of wire (dimensions c and d) which is oriented vertically on the y-axis (the y-axis splits the rectangle in two equal pieces), and rotates about the y-axis at constant angular ##\omega##. The magnetic field is in the +i direction.

What would be the torqque needed to have the loop rotate at a constant w?

Homework Equations

##\tau = NIAB\sin\theta##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\mathcal{E} = B(cd)\omega \sin( \omega t )## from Faraday's law.

##I = \dfrac{B(cd)\omega\sin (\omega t)}{R}##

I am not sure how to proceed from here...what do I set the torque, ##\tau = NIAB\sin\theta## equal to?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a current flow in a magnetic field. Do you see any forces from this?

I see ##F_B = ILB\sin\theta##, however, I can't tell which direction they are going in, and doesn't it change as the loop rotates?

however, I can't tell which direction they are going in
Did you draw a sketch?
In principle, you don't need that, if you use the cross-product..

and doesn't it change as the loop rotates?
Sure it does.

Yeah, I drew a sketch.
How about ##F_B = ILB \sin\omega t##?
From my sketch, it seems that all the forces cancel though... hint please :smile:

darksyesider said:
Yeah, I drew a sketch.
How about ##F_B = ILB \sin\omega t##?
Looks good.

From my sketch, it seems that all the forces cancel though... hint please :smile:
Then your sketch might be wrong. As I don't have the sketch, I can't say which part.

OH wait, would it be:

##\tau = IA\times B = IAB\sin (\omega t)##
## I(cd)B\sin\omega t##

Then plug in I from the equation in the original post ? i am fairly confident on this now.

Looks good.

Likes 1 person

Related to Constant angular speed loop of wire

1. What is a constant angular speed loop of wire?

A constant angular speed loop of wire is a scientific concept that refers to a wire or coil that rotates at a constant speed around its axis. This type of motion is also known as uniform circular motion.

2. How is a constant angular speed loop of wire different from a regular loop of wire?

A regular loop of wire may have varying speeds as it rotates, while a constant angular speed loop of wire maintains a consistent angular velocity throughout its rotation. This is due to the presence of a force, such as a magnetic field, that keeps the wire in constant motion.

3. What is the significance of a constant angular speed loop of wire in science?

A constant angular speed loop of wire is important in many scientific fields, including electromagnetism, physics, and engineering. It is often used in experiments and devices to generate electricity, create magnetic fields, and measure rotational motion.

4. How is a constant angular speed loop of wire created?

A constant angular speed loop of wire can be created by passing an electrical current through a wire while it is within a magnetic field. The interaction between the magnetic field and the current produces a force that causes the wire to rotate at a constant speed.

5. What are some real-world applications of a constant angular speed loop of wire?

Some examples of real-world applications of a constant angular speed loop of wire include electric motors, generators, and devices that measure rotational motion, such as gyroscopes. It is also used in many household appliances, such as fans and blenders.