Constant Temperature Bubble Expansion: Work Calculation for Changing Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the work needed to increase the radius of a soap bubble, taking into account surface tension and work against the atmosphere. The first term of the equation involves finding the integral of pressure and volume, and the ideal gas law is suggested as a method to solve it. The conversation also includes a tip on formatting equations.
Grand

Homework Statement

A soap bubble of radius [tex]R_1[/tex] and surface tension [tex]\gamma[/tex] is expanded at constant temperature by forcing in air by driving in fully a piston containing volume [tex]v[/tex]. We have to show that the work needed to increase the bubble's radius to [tex]R_2[/tex] is:

[tex]\Delta W=P_2V_2ln\frac{P_2}{P_1} + ...[/tex]

I know hoow to work out the dots (due to surface tension and work against the atmosphere. But for the first term I need to work out the integral:

[tex]\int_{V_1+v}^{V_2} PdV[/tex]
which I don't really know how to do. If I apply the ideal gas law, I pick a minus sign on the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Grand! :smile:

(write "itex" rather than "tex", and it won't keep starting a new line :wink:)

ln(P2/P1) = - ln(V2/V1) … does that help?

if not, show us what you got :smile:

Related to Constant Temperature Bubble Expansion: Work Calculation for Changing Radius

1. What is constant temperature bubble expansion?

Constant temperature bubble expansion is a phenomenon in which a bubble of gas expands while maintaining a constant temperature. This means that the energy within the system remains constant, and any work done on the bubble is balanced by an equal amount of heat transfer.

2. How is work calculated for changing radius in a constant temperature bubble expansion?

The work calculation for changing radius in a constant temperature bubble expansion can be done using the equation W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the external pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This equation assumes that the work done is against a constant external pressure and that the temperature remains constant.

3. What is the significance of calculating work in a constant temperature bubble expansion?

The calculation of work in a constant temperature bubble expansion is important because it helps to understand the energy transfer and changes in volume within the system. This information can be useful in various scientific applications, such as in the study of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

4. How does the radius of a bubble change during constant temperature bubble expansion?

The radius of a bubble increases during constant temperature bubble expansion as the gas within the bubble expands. This is due to the increase in volume of the gas as it is heated, causing it to push against the bubble's surface and increase its radius.

5. Can constant temperature bubble expansion occur in all types of gases?

Yes, constant temperature bubble expansion can occur in all types of gases as long as the temperature of the system remains constant. However, the rate and extent of expansion may differ depending on the properties of the gas, such as its molar mass and heat capacity.