Constant velocity and an object at rest

In summary: However, as you pointed out, there may be external forces acting on the object, such as air resistance, that would create different stresses. So, in that case, the answer would be FALSE. Overall, it would depend on the specific scenario and whether external forces are taken into consideration.
Tiven white

Homework Statement

True or False

The stresses on an object traveling at constant velocity are the same as the stresses on an object.at rest.

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

For both an object at constant velocity and an object at rest the acceleration is zero therefore by Newtons second law the force should be zero a stress is a force therefore I concluded that the stresses on an object at constant velocity and an object at rest is zero which is the same so I say the answer is true. Is this correct? any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone please validate the solution I proposed to this question.

Tiven white said:

Homework Statement

True or False

The stresses on an object traveling at constant velocity are the same as the stresses on an object.at rest.

Homework Equations

F = m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

For both an object at constant velocity and an object at rest the acceleration is zero therefore by Newtons second law the force should be zero a stress is a force therefore I concluded that the stresses on an object at constant velocity and an object at rest is zero which is the same so I say the answer is true. Is this correct? any help would be appreciated.
Tiven
This question is a bit ambiguous. Newtons First Law states in effect that the net force acting on an object at rest or in motion at constant velocity is zero. But the problem asks about stresses, which are internal to the system and which are not zero, whether the object is at rest or in motion at constant velocity. If the object at constant velocity is subject to the same system of forces as at rest, the vector sum of which is zero, then the stresses, which are non-zero, are the same in both cases.

Correct.

However you might want to state what assumptions you have made in giving your answer. Clearly the forces/stresses acting on a car aren't the same when it's moving or stationary.

CWatters said:
Correct.

However you might want to state what assumptions you have made in giving your answer. Clearly the forces/stresses acting on a car aren't the same when it's moving or stationary.

There is no option to provide assumptions made on this question it is strictly true or false so
Could u clarify the last sentence In which u said the forces on a car is.not.the same when it is at rest and when it is moving at.constant.velocity. and make reference to the term ' stresses' when doing so. This would aid in clearing up any ambiguity of.whether false is an option .

PhanthomJay said:
Tiven
This question is a bit ambiguous. Newtons First Law states in effect that the net force acting on an object at rest or in motion at constant velocity is zero. But the problem asks about stresses, which are internal to the system and which are not zero, whether the object is at rest or in motion at constant velocity. If the object at constant velocity is subject to the same system of forces as at rest, the vector sum of which is zero, then the stresses, which are non-zero, are the same in both cases.

Though it is ambiguous what would be ur response regarding this question?

I would answer true.

Could u clarify the last sentence In which u said the forces on a car is.not.the same when it is at rest and when it is moving at.constant.velocity

One example would be air resistance (eg drag). That would create stresses in various things. Most obvious would be the windscreen or other surfaces at the front, but also in the tyres (because the car has to overcome drag by "pushing the ground backwards").

So in answering true I would like to add an assumption that the object is moving in free space and not subject to, for example, air resistance.

Tiven white said:
Though it is ambiguous what would be ur response regarding this question?
My first inclination would be to answer TRUE, but the way the problem is worded, the answer is SOMETIMES. Which apparently is not an option. So I assume that the problem implies that the object is subject to the same set of forces in both cases.

Related to Constant velocity and an object at rest

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the speed at which an object moves in a straight line without changing its direction. It is a measure of how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

2. How is constant velocity different from average velocity?

Constant velocity is the speed at which an object moves at all times, while average velocity is the total distance an object travels divided by the total time it takes to travel that distance. Average velocity can vary if an object changes its speed or direction.

3. What is the equation for calculating constant velocity?

The equation for calculating constant velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is distance, and t is time. This formula can also be written as v = dx/dt, where x is position and t is time.

4. Can an object be at rest and have constant velocity?

No, an object at rest has a velocity of 0, which means it is not moving at all. Constant velocity requires an object to be moving at a consistent speed in a straight line without any changes in direction.

5. How do you graph an object at rest and an object with constant velocity?

To graph an object at rest, the position of the object remains constant over time, so the graph would be a horizontal line at 0. To graph an object with constant velocity, the position of the object changes at a constant rate over time, so the graph would be a straight diagonal line with a positive slope.

Back