Constant velocity and net force

In summary, a man pushes a 75 kg crate at constant velocity for a distance of 12 m with a force of 225 N at a 15° angle down from the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the crate and the floor is 0.24. The total work done by the man is 321 J, but the work done on the crate is only 320 J due to the work done against friction. The claim of constant velocity may be inaccurate and it is also possible that there is an additional force acting on the crate. The correct way to calculate the work done on the crate is by finding the net force on the crate and multiplying it by the distance traveled.
komender

Homework Statement

A man is pushing a 75 kg crate at constant
velocity a distance of 12 m across a warehouse.
He is pushing with a force of 225 N at an angle
of 15° down from the horizontal. The coefficient
of friction between the crate and the floor is
0.24. How much work did the man do on the
crate?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn = mg + 225sin15 = 794
Fnet = 217.33 - 190.5 = 26.83
26.83*12= 321 J
I did solve the question, but there is one thing that I don't understand:
How can the object have a net force (in this case, 26.83) and still move in constant velocity? Wouldn't it have a constant acceleration instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
How can the object have a net force (in this case, 26.83) and still move in constant velocity? Wouldn't it have a constant acceleration instead?
A constant net force means a constant acceleration - you are correct. There is no way a net force produces a constant velocity.

but then the question says that the box is moving at constant velocity when it was pushed 12m...

You calculated the net work done on the crate by both the man and frictional force. What is the work done on the crate by the man alone?

In regards to your question concerning the claim of the constant velocity of the crate, either the statement of the question is in error on this point or there is an additional force acting on the crate.

Last edited:
Yeah - what he said: you have to have courage in what you observe.
The problem has described something that cannot happen.

You should check your ideas about force and work - W=Fd ... here, F would be the force exerted by the man in the direction of the motion.

Last edited:
But aren't you looking at the net force that is generated from the man's push? If I would only account for the force that was exerted by the man, than I would get 225cos15*12 = 2608J, but the correct answer is 320 because I'm taking into account the normal force which is mg + 225sin15 = 794, then I multiply by the coefficient which gives me 190.56N and then I add the two forces (225cos15 - 190.56) which gives me 26.8 N, which I substitute to the formula to get 322 J, which is roughly what they were looking for.
Overall, the question's statement was wrong, and the box couldn't move at constant speed with a net force.

If I would only account for the force that was exerted by the man, than I would get 225cos15*12 = 2608J, but the correct answer is 320 because I'm taking into account the normal force
This is how the thinking went:

The man exerts normal and horizontal components. The total work done by the man is just the sum of the work done by each component.

What is the distance moved in the direction of the horizontal force?
Therefore, how much work is done by the horizontal force?

What is the distance moved in the direction of the normal force?
Therefore, how much work is done by the normal force?

Therefore: what is the total work done by the man?

But you are right - the question does ask for the amount of work done on the crate ... some of the total work is done on the ground (via friction). So the work done on the crate is the work done against friction subtracted from the total work done by the man.

Which would be the net force on the crate, multiplied by the distance traveled.
You could also do it by the work-energy relation and some kinematics - which could be an interesting way to check considering how they think it's a constant velocity.

Last edited:

FAQ: Constant velocity and net force

1. What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the motion of an object at a constant speed in a straight line. This means that the object is not accelerating and therefore has a net force of zero acting on it.

2. How does net force affect an object's velocity?

Net force is the sum of all forces acting on an object. If the net force is zero, the object will remain at a constant velocity. However, if there is a non-zero net force, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force.

3. Can an object have a constant velocity and still have a net force?

No, an object cannot have a constant velocity and have a net force at the same time. This is because a net force will always cause an object to accelerate and therefore change its velocity.

4. What is the relationship between constant velocity and acceleration?

Constant velocity and acceleration are opposites. Constant velocity means there is no acceleration, while acceleration means a change in velocity. In order for an object to have a constant velocity, there must be no net force acting on it.

5. How can we calculate the net force of an object at constant velocity?

To calculate the net force of an object at constant velocity, we can use Newton's Second Law of Motion: F=ma. Since the object's acceleration is zero, the net force will also be zero. This means that the force required to maintain constant velocity is equal to the force of friction acting in the opposite direction.