Constant Velocity Challenge Problem

In summary: I could make A meet B on the bridge after 5 minutes have elapsed since A left.In summary, Person A left town X at 10:18 am. He walked at a constant speed and arrived at town Z at 1:30 pm. On the same day, Person B left town Z at 9 am. Person B walked the same route in the opposite direction at a constant speed. Person B arrived at town X at 11:40 am. The road crosses a wide river. By coincidence, both arrived at the bridge on opposite sides of the river at the same instant. Person A left the bridge 1 minute later than Person B. At what time did they
physgal1576
I need help solving this problem. To be clear, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR THE ANSWER...just need some hints as to HOW to go about solving. I've tried several paths/steps and I keep going in circles. Can someone please help me get started on a path?

Person A left Town X at 10:18 am. He walked at a constant speed and arrived at town Z at 1:30 pm. On the same day, Person B left town Z at 9 am. Person B walked the same route in the opposite direction at a constant speed. Person B arrived at town X at 11:40 am. The road crosses a wide river. By coincidence, both arrived at the bridge on opposite sides of the river at the same instant. Person A left the bridge 1 minute later than Person B. At what time did they arrive at the bridge?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to be clear...this is NOT a homework problem! I'm actually a physics teacher...this problem was presented to a room of physics teachers as a problem to use with our students. I need to figure it out first...but I need help! :)

What have you done so far? What kind of help do you need?
Can you write the equations of motion for the two persons?

Can you draw a diagram of the problem out? Drawing the diagram will help you greatly in visualizing the problem to use with the equations of motion.

The information given allows one to calculate the ratio of the speeds.
Doing this I calculate that B takes 160/32 minutes to cross the bridge.

Is this enough of a start?

Try converting the format hours:minutes into minutes since 12 am and solve the equations. Later, when you find the answer you can reconvert it into the original format.
In this problem, it is impossible to find the length of the bridge and the distance between X and Z. The only thing you can find is the time at which the two people are at the opposite ends of the bridge.
The ratio of speeds is not required.

Last edited:
The most interesting part of the problem is "Person A left the bridge 1 minute later than Person B." So person A took one minute longer than person B to cross the bridge.
Let y be the length of the bridge, vA the speed of person A, and vB the speed of person B. Then vAy= vBy+ 1. (The speeds are measured in distance per minute.)

Further, let the distance from town X to the bridge be x and the distance from town Z to the bridge be y. Then the total distance from town X to town Z is x+ y+ z. The time, in minutes, it took A to walk from town x to town Z is (x+ y+ z)vA and we are told it took A 192 minutes. Similarly, it took B (x+ y+ z)vB minutes to walk and we are told that was 160 minutes.

Hello HOI that was something like my start.

Let the velocities be Va and Vb

Let the distance between X and Z be D, The distance across the bridge be d.

We are told the time of transit of D for A is 192 minutes and for B is 160 minutes.

Let the time of transit of the bridge be tb for B and therefore it is tb+1 for A.

Thus D = 192 Va = 160Vb

leading to Va/Vb = 160/192.

Also Va/Vb = tb/(tb+1)

Substituting Va/Vb we find

192tb = 160tb +160

leading to tb = 160/32 = 5 minutes as I previously said.

Studiot said:
leading to tb = 160/32 = 5 minutes as I previously said.
But I don't see how this helps to find what's required.

I didn't want to post more so I posted a result not asked for edit but a necessary intermediate result.

However you can carry on the method applying the known ratios of the velocities to each part of the journey allowing for the time differences to synchronise clocks.

Last edited:
vin300 said:
But I don't see how this helps to find what's required.

The actual value is not needed per se. You do need to express the length of the bridge as a function of velocities (and their ratio) and the value of the time to cross is a "byproduct" of this.
It is interesting though that whereas the distance between cities and length of the bridge are not determined by the given data (they depend on the actual values of the velocities), the time to cross the bridge is always the same. As is the time before they reach the bridge.

Yes this is a nice little problem and I raise my glass to those who thought it up.

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31861&d=1296667292

For those who are interested in comparing their answer with mine, I could not make A and B 'meet on the bridge at midnight'.
Instead I got them at opposite ends at 1100 hours.

If anyone can tell me how to get the attachment to display directly I would be grateful.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
Let y be the length of the bridge, vA the speed of person A, and vB the speed of person B. Then vAy= vBy+ 1. (The speeds are measured in distance per minute.)
But your equation implies minutes/distance, no?

Studiot said:
Instead I got them at opposite ends at 1100 hours.
I got the same but it seems you did it differently.

I got the same but it seems you did it differently.

I am happy to display the rest of my solution when everybody interested is ready. In principle this is a repeat of the bridge transit time method with one extra simultaneous equation.

It seems our new recruit who posted this has not been back. That is a pity.

OMGoodness! I have to say, this was my first visit to this site and I'm officially bookmarking! I posted the other night out of pure frustration and then walked away. This is my first time back and I've since solved the problem...but it took a LOOONNNGGG time!
I did get a final answer of 11:00 am. My solution right now is a mess...on several pages. As soon as I make sense of what I did and put it in a clear, precise manner, I will post!
Thank you all for replying! I <3 Physics!

yeah, I'm in ap physics, and our teacher gave us a couple of days to work on this, but I still don't know how to exactly start it, so i was wondering if anyone on here could guide me. thank you.

lol Ms. D! What a character...

Related to Constant Velocity Challenge Problem

1. What is a Constant Velocity Challenge Problem?

A Constant Velocity Challenge Problem is a scientific problem that involves calculating the motion of an object moving at a constant velocity. This type of problem is commonly used in physics and requires the use of equations and mathematical calculations to solve.

2. How do you determine the constant velocity of an object?

To determine the constant velocity of an object, you need to measure the distance the object has traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. Then, you can use the equation v = d/t, where v represents velocity, d represents distance, and t represents time, to calculate the constant velocity of the object.

3. What is the difference between constant velocity and average velocity?

The main difference between constant velocity and average velocity is that constant velocity refers to an object's motion at a specific moment in time, while average velocity refers to the average rate of motion over a period of time. Constant velocity does not change, while average velocity can change depending on the object's acceleration or deceleration.

4. What are the units for constant velocity?

The units for constant velocity are distance per time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). This represents the rate at which an object is moving in a specific direction at a specific moment in time.

5. What are some real-world examples of constant velocity?

Some real-world examples of constant velocity include a car driving on a straight and flat road at a constant speed, a plane flying at a constant altitude and speed, or a satellite orbiting the Earth at a constant distance and speed.