Constant volume heat value vs. constant pressure heat value

In summary: In the context of fuels, the HHV and LVH are related to the heat of combustion. The HHV is the heat released when the fuel is burned, and the LVH is the heat released when the fuel is combusted at a pressure other than atmospheric.The HHV and LVH are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings. The HHV is the heat released when the fuel is burned, and the LVH is the heat released when the fuel is combusted at a pressure other than atmospheric.The HHV is the heat released when the fuel is burned, and the LVH is the heat released when the fuel is combusted at a pressure other than atmospheric.The HHV is the heat
lalbatros
Hello

My story
Till today, I had never imagined that the High Heat Value (HHV) of fuels or their Lower Heat Value (LVH) have themselves (at least) two variants:

- the constant volume heat value
- the constant pressure heat value

These quantities can be most directly measured in respectively constant volume or constant pressure calorimeters.
Of course, conversions from one to the other values can also be performed, but may need additional information.

Till today, I implicitely assumed that the Lower Heat Values I used were on constant pressure basis.
I always made this assumption without knowing!

My question
I would like to know what the usual practices are.
I could guess that constant volume calorimeters are more often used, for greater simplicity.
However, many industrial processes are almost at constant pressure on the combustion side.
This is the case for coal combustion in power plant, or also in all industrial kilns.
Therefore, the constant pressure heat value is easier to use.

Would you know about traditions or legal obligations or other reasons for chosing constant volume or constant pressure heat values in the industry?
This is specially important when official reporting is involved.
For engineering heat balances we only need to know what we are doing.

Would you know some industrial or legal standards regarding this?
At the least, we should know the kind of HV we are using, in order to use them properly.
For official reporting (like heat consumption), this information should at least be specified.
By looking documents on the web, I found our that this information is NEVER indicated.
How can we make sense from unclearly defined data?

Thanks for your comment and suggestions.

Michel

Science news on Phys.org
Typically, heats of reaction are presented in thermodynamics as changes in enthalpy between reactants and products at standard state. The standard state is 1 atm pressure (or 1 bar) and 25 C. The effects of temperature and pressure in actual processes are then calculated from knowledge of the heat capacities of the reactants and products, and the equations of state for the gases.

FAQ: Constant volume heat value vs. constant pressure heat value

1. What is the difference between constant volume heat value and constant pressure heat value?

Constant volume heat value (CV) is the amount of heat released or absorbed when a substance undergoes a chemical reaction at constant volume. Constant pressure heat value (CP) is the amount of heat released or absorbed when a substance undergoes a chemical reaction at constant pressure.

2. How are constant volume heat value and constant pressure heat value measured?

Constant volume heat value and constant pressure heat value are measured using a bomb calorimeter and a coffee cup calorimeter, respectively. These devices are used to measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

3. Which is a more accurate measure of heat energy: constant volume heat value or constant pressure heat value?

It depends on the specific situation. If the chemical reaction is occurring at constant volume, then CV would be a more accurate measure of heat energy. If the chemical reaction is occurring at constant pressure, then CP would be a more accurate measure of heat energy.

4. How do constant volume heat value and constant pressure heat value impact chemical reactions?

Constant volume heat value and constant pressure heat value can impact chemical reactions by affecting the temperature change and the amount of energy released or absorbed during the reaction. They can also help determine the enthalpy change of a reaction, which is a measure of the total heat energy involved.

5. Can constant volume heat value and constant pressure heat value be used interchangeably?

No, constant volume heat value and constant pressure heat value cannot be used interchangeably. They represent different thermodynamic conditions and will result in different values for heat energy. It is important to use the appropriate measure for the specific situation in order to accurately measure the heat energy involved in a chemical reaction.

Back