Construct a 25 ohm resistance from a boz

In summary, to create a resistance of 25 ohms from a 12 ohm resistor, you would need to connect them in series or parallel. Parallel is the easiest and most common way to do it.
cseet
Hello,

can you advise me how could you construct a 25 ohm resistance from a boz containing a dozen 10 ohm resistors?

can someone explain this in details...
i'm new to physics...

greatly appreciated! thanks again!
cseet

Physics news on Phys.org
To work out the resistance of a circuit with some resistors connected in series you simply add their resistances together.

However if you were to connect resistors in parallel then you would have to use this equation:
Code:
1  = 1 + 1 + ... + 1
--   --  --        --
R[sub]T[/sub]   R[sub]1[/sub]   R[sub]2[/sub]        R[sub]n[/sub]
So what would the resistance be if you connected two 10 ohm resistors together in parallel?

This should get you most of the way there, let me know if you're still stuck.

Originally by cseet
"So what would the resistance be if you connected two 10 ohm resistors together in parallel?"

has a 5 ohm resistance... so does it mean that we need 5 sets of (two 10ohm resistors in parallel)? if so, we're using 10 resistor and how would the circuit diagram be?
Just because you have two resistors in parallel, it doesn't mean that you can't have things in series with them, hint hint. ;)

I quoted you in here so that I can be corrected if I'm wrong or if the thread develops and more difficult questions are asked or I'm just too slow then someone else can jump in. Hope you don't mind.

No easy way to do it. Just use guess and check.

Resistors in series add like

[tex]R_\textrm{equiv} = R_1 + R_2 + \cdots[/tex]

whereas resistors in parallel add like

[tex]R_\textrm{equiv} = (\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} + \cdots)^{-1}[/tex]

So build yourself a circuit of resistors and calculate what the resistance is. If it's too high, make some parallel and if it's too low, make some series.

cookiemonster

lavalamp already did most of the work... you already know how to connect two resistors to get 5 ohm. You need 25 ohm, i.e you need to come up with a way to connect resistors together so they will together be 20 ohm, and connect that set up to the other set up in series (20 ohm + 5 ohm). How can you get 20 ohm from 10 ohm resistors? :smile:

Don't just guess and check, that's what first graders do.
The trick from the start was finding how to get 5 ohms.

[tex]R = (\frac{1}{10} + \frac{1}{10} ...)^-^1[/tex]

[tex]5 = (\frac{n}{10})^-^1[/tex]

[tex]5 = \frac{10}{n}[/tex]

[tex]n = 2[/tex] resistors

Make sure you know how to do that in the future. Guess and check doesn't work too well when you get strange numbers like 341 and it's made of 8 ohm resistors (just an example, it might be impossible).

Originally posted by ShawnD
Guess and check doesn't work too well when you get strange numbers like 341 and it's made of 8 ohm resistors (just an example, it might be impossible).
Well I look at it and think, how can we get 1 ohm from 8 ohm resistors. Well, use 8 of them in parallel.

Then, how close can you get by using 8 ohm resistors in series, the answer to that is 336 ohms. Plus the 1 ohm from before is 337 ohms, that leaves 4 ohms to go.

To get 4 ohms you can use two 8 ohm resistors in parallel.

So without any guesswork and some simple mental arithmatic the answer is eight 8 ohm resistors in parallel in series with two 8 ohm resistors in parallel in series with forty-two 8 ohm resistors in series.

But point taken, I realize that sometimes it may not be this "easy".

Related to Construct a 25 ohm resistance from a boz

1. How do you construct a 25 ohm resistance from a boz?

To construct a 25 ohm resistance from a boz, you will need a boz resistor with a resistance of 25 ohms. This can be achieved by using a combination of resistors in series or parallel, depending on the specific requirements of your circuit.

2. What is a boz resistor?

A boz resistor is a type of resistor that has a resistance value of 1 ohm. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to regulate the flow of electric current.

3. Can any type of resistor be used to construct a 25 ohm resistance from a boz?

Yes, any type of resistor can be used as long as it has a resistance value of 25 ohms. This includes both fixed resistors and variable resistors.

4. What is the advantage of using a boz resistor to construct a 25 ohm resistance?

The advantage of using a boz resistor is that it provides a precise and consistent resistance value of 25 ohms. This can be beneficial in circuits that require a specific resistance value for optimal performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using a boz resistor for constructing a 25 ohm resistance?

While boz resistors are commonly used in electronic circuits, they have a limited range of resistance values. If your circuit requires a resistance value that is not available in boz resistors, you may need to use a combination of resistors to achieve the desired resistance of 25 ohms.