Construct a matrix with such that V is not equal to C_x

• MHB
  • Thread starter catsarebad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to construct a matrix A belonging to Mat_n*n (F) such that V is not equal to C_x for every x that belongs to V. The suggestion is to pick a "bad" matrix (one that is not invertible) so that $C_x$ will not be able to span $V$. This is because if $Ax = 0$ for some non-zero $x$, then $C_x$ will only contain the vector x and a series of zeros, which cannot span the entire space V.
catsarebad
for each n greater than or equal to,

construct a matrix A that belongs to Mat_n*n (F) such that

V is not equal to C_x for every x that belongs to V

here,

C_x = span {x, L(x), L^2(x), ....L^k(x),...}

Physics news on Phys.org
This is easy. Hint: pick a "bad" matrix (one that is not invertible). Why will this guarantee that $C_x$ will not span $V$?

Deveno said:
This is easy. Hint: pick a "bad" matrix (one that is not invertible). Why will this guarantee that $C_x$ will not span $V$?

I do not know (Speechless)

I cannot figure out how A correlated to C_x. Could you please explain that to me? Thanks a ton. (heart)

Suppose $A$ is such that $Ax = 0$ for some non-zero $x$. What can you say about $C_x$ then?

Deveno said:
Suppose $A$ is such that $Ax = 0$ for some non-zero $x$. What can you say about $C_x$ then?

still dunno. i think i just do not get what A is with respect to C_x. i know C_x is cyclic subspace generated by x that is spanned by vectors, x, L(x),...

but what is A? how does it relate to x, L(x), C_x, etc?

If $Ax = 0$ (which is true for SOME non-zero $x$ if $A$ is not invertible) then:

$C_x = \{x,Ax,A^2x,\dots\} = \{x,0,0,\dots\}$

HOW CAN THIS SPAN $V$?

FAQ: Construct a matrix with such that V is not equal to C_x

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is often used in mathematics and science to represent relationships between different variables.

2. What is the difference between V and C_x in a matrix?

V and C_x are both variables in a matrix, but they represent different things. V typically represents a vector or a set of values, while C_x represents a specific column within the matrix.

3. How can you construct a matrix with V not equal to C_x?

To construct a matrix with V not equal to C_x, you will need to use different values for V and C_x. This will result in a matrix where the values in the V vector do not match the values in the C_x column.

4. Can you provide an example of a matrix where V is not equal to C_x?

Yes, for example, a 3x3 matrix with V as the vector [1, 2, 3] and C_x as the column [4, 5, 6] would satisfy the condition of V not equal to C_x.

5. Why is it important to have V not equal to C_x in a matrix?

Having V not equal to C_x in a matrix allows for more flexibility and diversity in the data represented. It allows for different relationships between variables to be shown and can provide more in-depth analysis and insights.