Constructing 4-to-16 Decoder from 4 2-4 Decoders

• Thread starter goron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Decoder
In summary, the conversation discusses the construction of a 4-to-16 line decoder using four 2-to-4 line decoders, each with two active-LOW enable inputs and the option to use two inverters. The conversation also mentions the construction of a 16-input multiplexer using four 4-input multiplexers, a 4-output demultiplexer, and an OR gate, with each smaller multiplexer having an active-HIGH enable input. The necessary inputs and outputs for the 16-input multiplexer are also mentioned. Despite initial difficulties, the individual was able to figure out the construction process with the help of others and encourages showing work for future assistance.
goron
1. Hi i basically need information on how to construct a 4-to-16 line decoder made of four 2-to-4 line decoders each of the smaller decoders is equipped with two active-LOW enable inputs and i am allowed to use 2 inverters in addition to the four decoders.

and also Show how to construct a 16-input multiplexer from four 4-input multiplexers,
a 4-output demultiplexer and an OR gate. each of the smaller multiplexers
is equipped with one (active-HIGH) enable, E. The 16-input MUX should have data
inputs I15 −I0, select inputs S3S2S1S0 and output Z.
I constructed a 4-16 decoder using five 2-4 decoders but that's not what i am after lol and not sure how to do this with four.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i figured out the first question can anyone help with the second. The thing is there is only like 5 pages on this topic in my book and its very frustrating.

yay i figured it out (thanks for all the help :P) Glad to know this site doesn't care

To gogon..

hi gogon,
how to construct a 4-to-16 line decoder made of four 2-to-4 line decoders

Its not a matter of no one caring, its a matter of showing your work. Do realize that many HW helpers have FULL TIME JOBS and a FAMILY to worry about.

You would be able to find this circuit in elementary digital logic design textbooks.

Related to Constructing 4-to-16 Decoder from 4 2-4 Decoders

What is a decoder and how does it work?

A decoder is a digital logic circuit that takes a binary input and converts it into a corresponding output based on a specified logic function. In other words, it decodes the input and activates the appropriate output based on the input's binary value. It works by using a combination of AND and NOT gates to generate the desired output.

Why do we need to construct a 4-to-16 decoder from 4 2-4 decoders?

A 4-to-16 decoder is a commonly used digital logic component in many electronic devices. It is used to decode a 4-bit binary input into one of the 16 possible output combinations. However, constructing a 4-to-16 decoder from 4 2-4 decoders is a more efficient and cost-effective approach compared to using a single 4-to-16 decoder chip.

What are the steps involved in constructing a 4-to-16 decoder from 4 2-4 decoders?

The following are the steps involved in constructing a 4-to-16 decoder from 4 2-4 decoders:1. Connect the enable inputs of all 4 2-4 decoders to a common enable signal.2. Connect the 4-bit binary input to the A and B inputs of each 2-4 decoder.3. Connect the outputs of the 2-4 decoders to the OR gate.4. Connect the output of the OR gate to the enable inputs of all 4 decoders.5. Connect the outputs of the 2-4 decoders to the 16 output pins of the 4-to-16 decoder.

What are the advantages of constructing a 4-to-16 decoder from 4 2-4 decoders?

There are several advantages of constructing a 4-to-16 decoder from 4 2-4 decoders, including:1. Cost-effectiveness: Using 4 2-4 decoders is more affordable than purchasing a single 4-to-16 decoder chip.2. Flexibility: By using separate 2-4 decoders, you can easily expand the decoder's functionality by adding more 2-4 decoders.3. Ease of troubleshooting: In case of any issues, it is easier to troubleshoot and replace individual 2-4 decoders rather than the entire 4-to-16 decoder chip.4. Space-saving: Using 4 2-4 decoders takes up less space on a circuit board compared to a single 4-to-16 decoder chip.

What are some practical applications of a 4-to-16 decoder?

A 4-to-16 decoder has various applications in digital electronics, including:1. Address decoding in memory and microprocessor systems.2. Multiplexing and demultiplexing data in communication systems.3. Generating control signals in complex logic circuits.4. Error detection and correction in digital communication systems.5. Creating custom logic functions for specific applications.