Constructing a Bending Moment Function Using McCauley's Method

In summary, the conversation involves finding the deflection equation for a beam with a length of 1.2 m and supports at 0 m and 0.8 m. Forces of 10 N at 0.4 m and 5 N at 1.2 m are applied. The person has tried to calculate the deflection but the results do not match their expectations. They have split the beam into 3 sections and found the moments acting at each section, but their method needs to be adjusted and they have too many constants of integration. They are going to try again.
James20
I have A beam of 1.2 m long, supports at 0m and 0.8 m. forces of 10 N at 0.4 m and 5N at 1.2 m I need to find the deflection equation for this situation. Can someone have a look and see if they can come up with the equation. As I have tried but my results do not match what I am expecting

Engineering news on Phys.org
James20 said:
I have A beam of 1.2 m long, supports at 0m and 0.8 m. forces of 10 N at 0.4 m and 5N at 1.2 m I need to find the deflection equation for this situation. Can someone have a look and see if they can come up with the equation. As I have tried but my results do not match what I am expecting

Why don't you post your calculations? You may have made some mistakes in calculating deflections for this beam.

I split the beam into 3 sections and found the moments acting at each section so section on 2.5 x second section -7.5x and the last section 5x I then integrated twice for each section and got 5/12x^3 +c1x + c2
5/4x^3 +c3x +c4 and 5/6x^3 + c5x + c6 all equal to yEI. Does what I have done so far seem right to you because all I did next was find the constants and if this part isn't right then if my constants are wrong it won't matter as it's all wrong
Cheers

James20 said:
I split the beam into 3 sections and found the moments acting at each section so section on 2.5 x second section -7.5x and the last section 5x

You have found some of the parts of the moment expression, but these parts act over limited portions of the beam.

For instance, starting at the first support, M(x) = 2.5 x, for 0 ≤ x ≤ 0.4 m
Similarly, the next part, M(x) = -7.5 x for 0.4 < x ≤ 0.8 m
Finally, M(x) = 5 x for 0.8 < x ≤ 1.2 m

You've got to write the bending moment function is such a way that all of the segments of the bending moment curve are treated together. This is difficult to do with regular algebra, but there are special ways to construct a bending moment function in a piece-wise manner. McCauley's method is one such procedure:

http://www.codecogs.com/library/engineering/materials/beams/macaulay-method.php

I then integrated twice for each section and got 5/12x^3 +c1x + c2
5/4x^3 +c3x +c4 and 5/6x^3 + c5x + c6 all equal to yEI.

You've wound up with too many constants of integration. When you integrate the moment equation to find the slope, you'll generate one constant of integration. When you integrate the slope equation to find the deflection, you'll generate another constant of integration as follows:

M(x) = bending moment as a function of position x

Θ(x) = slope as a function of position x

y(x) = deflection as a function of position x

Θ(x) = ∫ M(x) dx = Θ(x) + C1

y(x) = ∫ Θ(x) dx = ∫ [Θ(x) + C1] dx = ∫∫ M(x) dx dx + C1 * x + C2

The boundary conditions for this beam are that the deflection = 0 at the two supports, so you can have at most two constants of integration.

Does what I have done so far seem right to you because all I did next was find the constants and if this part isn't right then if my constants are wrong it won't matter as it's all wrong
Cheers

You're on the right track. You just have to make some adjustments in how you construct the bending moment function and then integrate it.

SteamKing said:
You have found some of the parts of the moment expression, but these parts act over limited portions of the beam.

You've got to write the bending moment function is such a way that all of the segments of the bending moment curve are treated together. This is difficult to do with regular algebra, but there are special ways to construct a bending moment function in a piece-wise manner. McCauley's method is one such procedure:

You've wound up with too many constants of integration. When you integrate the moment equation to find the slope, you'll generate one constant of integration. When you integrate the slope equation to find the deflection, you'll generate another constant of integration as follows:

The boundary conditions for this beam are that the deflection = 0 at the two supports, so you can have at most two constants of integration.
You're on the right track. You just have to make some adjustments in how you construct the bending moment function and then integrate it.
Thank you i will give it another go

SteamKing said:

Thank managed to get the answer thanks to yoir help

Related to Constructing a Bending Moment Function Using McCauley's Method

1. What is the beam deflection equation?

The beam deflection equation is an equation that describes the amount of deflection of a beam under a given load. It takes into account factors such as the material properties of the beam, its dimensions, and the applied load.

2. How is the beam deflection equation derived?

The beam deflection equation is derived from the principles of statics and mechanics, specifically the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory. It uses equations related to bending moments, shear forces, and material properties to calculate the deflection of a beam.

3. What are the assumptions made in the beam deflection equation?

The beam deflection equation makes several assumptions, including: the beam is initially straight, the beam is subjected to a static load, the material is homogeneous and isotropic, and the deflection is small compared to the beam's dimensions.

4. Can the beam deflection equation be used for all types of beams?

The beam deflection equation can be used for simple beams with constant cross-sections, such as cantilever, simply supported, and overhanging beams. It may not be accurate for more complex beam shapes or those with varying cross-sections.

5. How accurate is the beam deflection equation?

The accuracy of the beam deflection equation depends on the accuracy of the assumptions made and the complexity of the beam's geometry. In general, it provides a good estimation of beam deflection, but more advanced methods may be necessary for highly accurate results.

Back