Constructing a Bounded Non-Convergent Sequence in Complex Variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving constructing a sequence of bounded terms that gets increasingly closer but does not converge. It also touches on the concept of Arg z, which represents the argument or angle of a complex number in polar form. The conversation concludes by asking about the limit of Arg z as z approaches zero.
desaila
I can't think of how to title the problem I'm having, but this is what the course is called. Complex being imaginary numbers, ie z = a + ic where i is the sqrt of -1.

So here is the question that I have no idea where to start with:

Construct a sequence {zn} which is bounded and for which the successive
terms get increasingly closer, but which is not convergent. In other words,
{zn} must satisfy:
(i) For some B > 0, |zn| < B for every n = 1, 2,...
(ii) For every n, |zn+2 - zn+1| < |zn+1 - zn|.
(iii) {zn} diverges.
Note that the inequality in (ii) is strict. Make sure to prove that your
sequence satisfies all three parts.

n is a subscript of z.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let tn=sum(1/i) for i=1 to n. Consider zn=exp(i*tn). Now you just have to do the proofs.

Thanks. On the same homework assignment, I have another problem but this is more with the question itself. What does this mean: limit of Arg z, as z approaches zero?

?? Just what it says! Or is the question rather "what does Arg z mean"?

Any complex number z= x+ iy can be written in polar form: [itex]z= r (cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex] or simply as [itex]z= r e^{i\theta}[/itex]. In either case [itex]Arg z= \theta[/itex].

Take a look at z= x+ ix. What is Arg z for all x? What is its limit as z (and so x) goes to 0?
Now look at z= x- ix. What is Arg z for all x? What is its limit as z (and so x) goes to 0?

Related to Constructing a Bounded Non-Convergent Sequence in Complex Variables

1. What is a bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables?

A bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables is a sequence of complex numbers that does not have a limit or convergent value, but is still confined within a specific range of values. This means that the values of the sequence do not approach a single point, but they do not exceed a certain boundary.

2. How is a bounded non-convergent sequence different from a bounded convergent sequence?

A bounded non-convergent sequence does not have a limit or convergent value, whereas a bounded convergent sequence does have a limit or convergent value. This means that the values in a bounded non-convergent sequence do not approach a single point, but the values in a bounded convergent sequence do.

3. What is the importance of constructing a bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables?

Constructing a bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables is important in understanding the behavior of complex functions. It allows us to see how the values of a function can behave within a specific range without approaching a particular point. This can help in the analysis and evaluation of complex functions.

4. How can one construct a bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables?

A bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables can be constructed by using a combination of real and imaginary numbers. The sequence must be confined within a specific range of values, and the values cannot approach a single point. This can be achieved by alternating between positive and negative values in the sequence.

5. What are some applications of a bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables?

A bounded non-convergent sequence in complex variables has various applications in mathematics, such as in the study of complex analysis, number theory, and fractals. It can also be applied in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve complex functions and systems. Additionally, it can be used as a tool for understanding and visualizing complex behaviors and patterns.