Constructing a field of 4 elements

In summary, this conversation is about an example in a textbook and how to solve a problem. The first question is if the example is an exercise problem or not, and the second question is how to find a field element for a given primitive element.
PsychonautQQ
This is from an example in my textbook:

"The polynomial x^2+x+1 has no root in Z mod 2, and so is irreducible. Hence the required field is:

F = Z_2[x] / <x^2 + x + 1> = {a + bt | a,b are elements of Z_2; t^2+t+1 = 0}.

Thus F = {0, 1, t, 1+t} and t^2 = t + 1."

I have two questions.
My first question is if this a exercise problem rather than an example, I would have had no idea to grab the polynomial x^2+x+1 in Z mod 2. Can somebody explain why this was apparently so obvious?

My next question is why is t^2 = t + 1? Wouldn't t^2 = -t - 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
t+1=-t-1 (mod 2)?

Likes PsychonautQQ
Well, to obtain a field of ##p^n## elements, you want to quotient ##\mathbb{F}_p[X]## by an irreducible polynomial of degree ##n##. I assume that's clear and you're really asking how to find such a polynomial. Well, that is actually a hard question and a topic of research. It has been proven (and the proof is not trivial!) that such a polynomial always exists. But the proof doesn't really give a hint on how to find it. So what you could always do is check all cases. With low degree polynomials this is not hard. For example, you list all the second degree polynomials:

[tex]X^2,~X^2 + 1,~X^2+X,~X^2 + X + 1[/tex]

and you check whether they are irreducible. Only the last one is, so that's your polynomial. You can do the same with third degree, fourth degree, etc. To get beyond that is going to be difficult by hand. So you can always consult a computer algebra system like GAP http://www.gap-system.org Currently, people have also collected giant lists of irreducible polynomials, as no clever algorithm exists.

Likes lpetrich and PsychonautQQ
The number of degree-n irreducible polynomials for GF(p) is given by
$$ \frac{1}{n} \sum_{m \text{ div } n} \mu(n/m) p^m $$
where μ is the Moebius mu function: 0 if n has repeated prime factors, (-1)^(number of factors) if those factors are all unique.

That number gets big *very* quickly with increasing n; it tends to pn/n. For GF(2): A001037 - OEIS

Likes PsychonautQQ
the usual way to proceed to prove existence of such a field, is to use the fact that the multiplicative group of such a field is cyclic, hence if q = p^n, the elements of the field all satisfy the polynomial X^q - X = 0. Conversely it is not hard to show that in any splitting field for that polynomial, the set of all its q (necessarily distinct) roots forms a field. see van der waerden's modern algebra, chapter 5 section 37. I don't know if this is as explicit as what you want, since your discussion goes along the lines of finding the minimal polynomial for a primitive element for this splitting field extension. This seems however like a fairly elementary proof of existence of such a field and hence of such a polynomial.

Likes PsychonautQQ

Related to Constructing a field of 4 elements

1. What is the purpose of constructing a field of 4 elements?

The purpose of constructing a field of 4 elements is to create a mathematical structure that satisfies the properties of a field. This allows for various mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, to be performed on the elements within the field.

2. How is a field of 4 elements constructed?

A field of 4 elements can be constructed by creating a set of 4 distinct elements, typically denoted as {0, 1, a, b}. These elements must satisfy specific properties, such as closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse, in order to form a field.

3. What are some applications of a field of 4 elements?

A field of 4 elements has various applications in mathematics, computer science, and engineering. It can be used as a finite field to perform error correction in coding theory, to generate pseudorandom numbers in cryptography, and to represent and manipulate data in computer graphics.

4. Can a field of 4 elements be constructed with any set of 4 elements?

No, a field of 4 elements must satisfy specific properties in order to be considered a field. This means that not all sets of 4 elements will form a field. Additionally, the elements within the field must be distinct, meaning that two elements cannot be equal.

5. What are the limitations of a field of 4 elements?

One major limitation of a field of 4 elements is that it can only contain 4 distinct elements. This means that it cannot be used for larger mathematical operations or to represent larger sets of data. Additionally, the elements within the field must be finite, which may limit its applications in certain fields of study.