Constructing a mini grid for senior project

In summary, the speaker is working on a senior project to construct a mini grid with renewable energy sources. They are in charge of connections and have decided to use a PIC micro controller. They are seeking help with building circuits such as a phase matching circuit, AC-DC, and DC-DC. However, there are safety concerns with connecting DIY projects to the power grid and it is recommended to seek professional guidance and comply with local laws. It is also suggested to demonstrate principles on a smaller scale with the help of a mentor.
drew93
Hey all,
Well for my senior project my class has to construct a mini grid. It will be connected to 3 renewable energy sources. My team is in charge of the connections to the grid and the energy sources. My team has decided to use a PIC micro controller to interface to the other groups. I am having trouble finding out how to build some circuits such as a phase matching circuit, AC-DC, and DC-DC. If anyone has any experience doing any of this any information is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can't legally connect your DIY project to the power grid. There are numerous safety reasons why. People who have solar power, interface with devices approved by the utility, and which are often supplied and installed by the utility.

You did not mention the scale of your project. If it reaches voltages and powers comparable to house wiring, it can be very dangerous. You need to do it under supervision, and you need to comply with all local laws.

On the other hand, you can demonstrate all the scientific and engineering principles needed on a scale that involves only a few volts and a few watts. That would be intrinsically safe. But still you need the help of a local mentor. Getting answers from strangers on the Internet is a bad way to do it.

Good luck.

Related to Constructing a mini grid for senior project

1. How do I determine the appropriate size of the mini grid for my senior project?

To determine the appropriate size of the mini grid for your senior project, you will need to consider the energy needs of the intended users. This can be done by conducting a survey or consultation with the target community to understand their energy consumption patterns. You should also factor in the availability of resources and budget constraints.

2. What are the key components required to construct a mini grid?

The key components required for constructing a mini grid include a power source (such as solar panels or a diesel generator), a distribution system, a storage system (such as batteries), and a control system. Depending on the specific design, other components such as inverters, meters, and transformers may also be needed.

3. How do I ensure the mini grid is designed and constructed safely?

Safety should be a top priority when constructing a mini grid. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and regulations set by the relevant authorities. You should also work with a team of qualified engineers and electricians to ensure that the design and construction meet safety standards. Regular inspections and maintenance should also be conducted to ensure the ongoing safety of the mini grid.

4. Can a mini grid be connected to the main grid?

Yes, a mini grid can be connected to the main grid. This is known as a hybrid system, where the mini grid can draw power from the main grid when needed and also supply excess power back to the main grid. This can provide a more reliable and cost-effective energy solution for the target community.

5. How do I monitor and track the performance of the mini grid?

To monitor and track the performance of the mini grid, you will need to install a monitoring system that can track energy production, consumption, and any potential issues. This can include meters, data loggers, and remote monitoring systems. Regular monitoring and analysis of the data collected will help identify any potential problems and ensure the mini grid is functioning efficiently.