Constructing Ammeters and Voltmers

• Thread starter mark1989
  • Start date
In summary, during a lab on constructing ammeters and voltmeters using a galvanometer, the students had to determine the meter constants for V, I, and R. The teacher explained that using an ohmmeter to measure the internal resistance of the galvanometer would not work and that Rg had to be calculated instead. This is because an ohmmeter applies a much higher voltage than a galvanometer is designed for and could potentially damage it. The student is glad they did not use an ohmmeter.
mark1989
We just did a lab on constructing ammeters and voltmers using a galvanometer. We had to figure out the meter constants for V, I, and R. Our teacher told us that we could not just use an ohmmeter to measure the internal resistance of the galvanometer and we had to calculate Rg. Why can't we just use an ohmmeter, I don't get it?

Physics news on Phys.org
An ohmmeter works by applying a voltage (usualy from a battery inside the meter) across the two measring probes, and measuring the current that flows through the resistance you want to measure.

A galvanometer usually only needs a few millivolts applied to it to give its full scale reading. An ohmmeter would apply several volts to it (in other words, about 1000 times more voltage that it was designed for) and that would probably damage or destroy it.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Glad I didn't do it

FAQ: Constructing Ammeters and Voltmers

What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is a device used to measure electric current in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit and has a very low resistance in order to minimize its effect on the circuit.

What is a voltmeter?

A voltmeter is a device used to measure the voltage difference between two points in a circuit. It is typically connected in parallel with the circuit and has a very high resistance in order to minimize its effect on the circuit.

How do you construct an ammeter?

To construct an ammeter, you will need a low resistance shunt and a sensitive galvanometer. The galvanometer is connected in parallel with the shunt, and the shunt is connected in series with the circuit. The current passing through the shunt will create a voltage drop, which is measured by the galvanometer and converted into a current reading.

How do you construct a voltmeter?

To construct a voltmeter, you will need a high resistance resistor and a sensitive galvanometer. The resistor is connected in series with the galvanometer, and the combination is connected in parallel with the circuit. The voltage drop across the resistor is measured by the galvanometer and converted into a voltage reading.

What are some precautions to take when constructing ammeters and voltmeters?

It is important to use the appropriate resistance for the shunt and resistor in order to ensure accurate readings. Additionally, the galvanometer should be sensitive enough to accurately measure the voltage or current being measured. It is also important to ensure proper connections and avoid any short circuits.