Constructing an Acceleration Graph: Voltage to Acceleration

In summary, to sketch an acceleration vs time graph, you will need to convert the voltage readings into acceleration values using the sensitivity of the accelerometer. This can be done by using the formula a = (V2-V1)/t. After obtaining the acceleration values, you can integrate them twice to get an estimate of the displacement. However, this may not be completely accurate due to errors in the accelerometer readings.
Jowin86

Homework Statement

I have to sketch an acceleration vs time graph, i have the time, and voltage readouts from an accelerometer from two peaks recorded from an oscilloscope.

I have t1 = 109mS v1=23.45mV and t2= 250mS v2=5.9mV

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

Im guessing that i have to convert the voltages into acceleration and then integrate twice to get displacement? Is that right? And if so how can i get from voltage to acceleration?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To sketch an acceleration vs time graph, you will need to first convert the voltage readings into acceleration values. This can be done by using the sensitivity of the accelerometer, which is the change in output voltage for a given change in acceleration. Once you have the acceleration values, you can plot them against the corresponding time values to create the graph.

To convert voltage to acceleration, you can use the formula a = (V2-V1)/t, where V2 and V1 are the voltage values at two different time points and t is the time difference between them. In your case, you can use t1 and t2 as the time values and v1 and v2 as the voltage values.

After you have obtained the acceleration values, you can integrate them twice to get the displacement values. However, please note that this will only give you an estimate of the displacement and may not be completely accurate due to errors in the accelerometer readings.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: Constructing an Acceleration Graph: Voltage to Acceleration

1. What is an acceleration graph?

An acceleration graph is a visual representation of the relationship between voltage and acceleration. It shows how changes in voltage affect the acceleration of an object.

2. How is an acceleration graph constructed?

An acceleration graph is constructed by collecting data on voltage and corresponding acceleration values and plotting them on a graph. The voltage values are typically plotted on the x-axis and the acceleration values are plotted on the y-axis.

3. What is the purpose of constructing an acceleration graph?

The purpose of constructing an acceleration graph is to better understand the relationship between voltage and acceleration. It can help scientists analyze and predict the behavior of objects in response to changes in voltage.

4. How is voltage measured in an acceleration graph?

Voltage is typically measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the electrical potential difference between two points. The voltage values are recorded and then plotted on the acceleration graph.

5. What are some real-world applications of acceleration graphs?

Acceleration graphs have many real-world applications, such as in the field of physics for studying the motion of objects, in engineering for designing and testing new equipment, and in sports for analyzing the performance of athletes. They can also be used in industries like transportation and aerospace for optimizing speed and efficiency.