Constructing Bending Moment Diagram for Member 1-5 Using Stiffness Matrix Method

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a bending moment diagram using the stiffness matrix method. The problem is focused on member 1-5 and the attempts to calculate the moment at point 5. The summary also mentions the inclusion of shear forces in the calculation.
MMCS
This problem has a lot of calculations from the beginning so i have skipped to the part i am stuck with and tried to include relevant information, apologies if i have missed anything. Assume all working is correct as i was given the answers.

After carrying out the stiffness matrix method I am trying to construct a bending moment diagram using member equilibrium, see attached.

The specific problem is member 1-5

working

member 1-4

bending moment at 1 (given) 123.33Kn
vertical force 57.44Kn
length 2.5

therefore

123.33 - 57.44Kn*2.5 = -20.27 (correct)

Member 4 -5
-20.67 + 160KN(moment from pre-eliminated beam) = 139.63Kn (correct)

however i can not get the moment of -123.98 at point 5

attempt member 4-5
vertical force relative to beam = 80 (sin(36.87)
moment = 139.63Kn
139.63Kn - 80 sin(36.87)*2.5 = 19.629 (incorrect)

Attachments

• stiffness.jpg
    stiffness.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 532
Physics news on Phys.org
It's difficult to follow what you doing here but is there not a shear force at point 4 in addition to the 80?

paisiello2 said:
It's difficult to follow what you doing here but is there not a shear force at point 4 in addition to the 80?

Yes I appreciate it is fairly difficult to follow. Essentially I have got the bending moments on one side using stiffness matrix method and the used these values and member equilibrium for the rest of the beam. There is a shear force yes, I have tried to account for that, that's why I have used 80sin(36.87) as this would give me the vertical component of the force (vertical relative to the member)

The shear force is the internal shear in addition to the 80 external force.

paisiello2 said:
The shear force is the internal shear in addition to the 80 external force.

Would that have to be included in the bending moment diagram? If so, how is the force calculated? And would it be used in the same way as a vertical force e.g F x distance

1) Yes.

2) Same way you got the bending moment at point 4.

3) Yes.

paisiello2 said:
1) Yes.

2) Same way you got the bending moment at point 4.

3) Yes.

I got the moment by using (UDL x L) x L/2 ?

But you added another term to it as well.

paisiello2 said:
But you added another term to it as well.

Yes I added the moment from point one. For point 5 this is the method I have tried. I don't follow what you are suggesting?

OK, we are trying to get the moment at point 5, correct? So you need to take the moment at point 4 plus the shear at point 4 multiplied by L = 2.92m.

The shear at point 4 is 80kN*sin(37.9°) plus the shear from member 4-1.

paisiello2 said:
OK, we are trying to get the moment at point 5, correct? So you need to take the moment at point 4 plus the shear at point 4 multiplied by L = 2.92m.

The shear at point 4 is 80kN*sin(37.9°) plus the shear from member 4-1.

Attempt

139.63-((80sin(37.9))+57.44)*25 = -126.83

This is pretty close to -123.98 but still off,

Have i made an error?

You probably made a rounding error.

FAQ: Constructing Bending Moment Diagram for Member 1-5 Using Stiffness Matrix Method

What is the Stiffness Matrix method?

The Stiffness Matrix method is a mathematical approach used in structural analysis to determine the behavior of a structure under applied loads. It involves creating a matrix of stiffness coefficients that represents the stiffness of each element in the structure, and then solving equations to determine the displacements and internal forces of the structure.

How is the Stiffness Matrix method different from other structural analysis methods?

The Stiffness Matrix method is a more comprehensive and accurate approach compared to other methods such as the flexibility method or the moment distribution method. It takes into account the stiffness of each element in the structure, allowing for more accurate predictions of displacements and internal forces.

What are the advantages of using the Stiffness Matrix method?

Some advantages of the Stiffness Matrix method include its ability to handle complex structures with multiple elements, its accuracy in predicting structural behavior, and its flexibility in handling various load and support conditions. It also allows for easier incorporation of material and geometric nonlinearity.

What are the limitations of the Stiffness Matrix method?

The Stiffness Matrix method can be computationally intensive and complex, making it more time-consuming and difficult to use compared to other methods. It also requires a good understanding of matrix algebra and structural mechanics principles.

How is the Stiffness Matrix method used in real-world applications?

The Stiffness Matrix method is commonly used in engineering and construction industries to analyze and design various structures such as buildings, bridges, and dams. It is also used in computer-aided design (CAD) software to simulate and optimize the behavior of structural systems before construction.

Back