Constructing neural netowrk (perceptron)

• Thread starter nine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neural
In summary, to implement AND and NAND gates using MATLAB, you will need to create a network with two output neurons and train it using a target matrix with two rows.
nine

Homework Statement

Implement (AND, NAND) gates using MATLAB.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've succeeded to implement a single perceptron that has a single output and multi inputs.
Here is the code I've written
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
P = [0 0 1 1;0 1 0 1] %Pattern
T = [0 0 0 1] %Target
net = newp(minmax(P),1)
net = train(net,P,T)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I need two output terminals, AND results goes to the first terminal and the inverted AND (NAND goes to the other terminal).
I've referred to MATLAB help

Description

train trains a network net according to net.trainFcn and net.trainParam.

train(net,P,T,Pi,Ai,VV,TV) takes

netNetworkPNetwork inputsTNetwork targets (default = zeros)PiInitial input delay conditions (default = zeros)AiInitial layer delay conditions (default = zeros)VVStructure of validation vectors (default = [])TVStructure of test vectors (default = [])

When I tried to rewrite my code with a 2 row target matrix I've got an error as follows

P = [0 0 1 1;0 1 0 1] %Pattern
T = [0 0 0 1;1 1 1 0] %Target
net = newp(minmax(P),1)
net = train(net,P,T)

? Error using ==> network.train
Targets are incorrectly sized for network.
Matrix must have 1 rows.

Error in ==> AndGate at 4
net = train(net,P,T)

My question is, how can I set two output terminals instead of single output terminal? as I need one terminal for AND gate and the other for NAND gate.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, to implement both AND and NAND gates using MATLAB, you will need to create a network with two output neurons instead of one. This can be done by changing the number of neurons in the output layer when creating the network using the newp function. For example:

net = newp([0 1; 0 1],2)

This will create a network with two inputs (0 and 1) and two output neurons. Then, you can train the network using the train function, passing in the target matrix T with two rows (one for AND and one for NAND). Finally, you can use the sim function to simulate the network and get the outputs for both gates. For example:

output = sim(net,P)

This will give you a 2x4 matrix, with the first row representing the output for AND and the second row representing the output for NAND. You can then use these outputs to test the accuracy of your network. Hope this helps!

Hello,

To construct a neural network with multiple output terminals, you will need to use a different type of network called a multi-layer perceptron (MLP). This type of network allows for multiple outputs and can be trained to perform different tasks simultaneously.

To implement the AND and NAND gates using MATLAB, you can use the "newff" function to create an MLP with two output neurons. The code would look something like this:

P = [0 0 1 1;0 1 0 1]; %Pattern
T = [0 0 0 1;1 1 1 0]; %Target
net = newff(minmax(P),[2 2]); %Create MLP with 2 input neurons and 2 output neurons
net.trainFcn = 'trainlm'; %Set training function to Levenberg-Marquardt
net = train(net,P,T); %Train the network

You can then use the "sim" function to test the network on new inputs and see the outputs for both the AND and NAND gates.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Dear student,

Great job on successfully implementing a single perceptron with multiple inputs! To create a perceptron with two output terminals, you will need to modify your code to create a network with two output neurons instead of one. You can do this by changing the number of output neurons in the newp function:

net = newp(minmax(P),2)

This will create a network with two output neurons, which you can then train using the train function. You will also need to modify your target matrix to have two rows, with the first row representing the AND gate results and the second row representing the NAND gate results:

T = [0 0 0 1;1 1 1 0]

Once you have trained your network, you can use the sim function to test the performance of your network on new inputs.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your neural network studies!

FAQ: Constructing neural netowrk (perceptron)

1. What is a perceptron?

A perceptron is a type of artificial neural network (ANN) that is used for binary classification tasks. It is made up of a single layer of interconnected nodes, with each node representing a single input feature. The perceptron is trained to make predictions by adjusting the weights of its connections based on the input data.

2. How does a perceptron work?

A perceptron works by taking in multiple input features and multiplying each one by a corresponding weight. These weighted inputs are then summed together and passed through an activation function, which determines the output of the perceptron. The weights are adjusted during training based on the error between the predicted output and the actual output.

3. What is the training process for a perceptron?

The training process for a perceptron involves presenting it with a set of training data and comparing its predictions to the correct output. If there is a difference between the predicted and correct outputs, the weights are adjusted in a way that decreases the error. This process is repeated for multiple iterations until the perceptron can accurately classify the training data.

4. What are the limitations of a perceptron?

One limitation of a perceptron is that it can only handle linearly separable data. This means that it can only accurately classify data that can be separated by a straight line. Additionally, perceptrons can struggle with more complex tasks and may require multiple layers to achieve higher accuracy.

5. How is a perceptron different from other neural networks?

Perceptrons are different from other neural networks in that they only have a single layer of nodes, while other networks may have multiple hidden layers. Additionally, perceptrons use a step function as the activation function, while other networks may use different types of activation functions. However, perceptrons are the basis for more complex neural networks and have paved the way for advancements in artificial intelligence.