Constructive and Destructive Interference

In summary, the speakers are emitting sound at 700Hz, the distance between them is 2m, and the listener is 5m back and 2m to the side. The listener is √29m from the centre of the speakers and √26m from one speaker and 6m from the other. The wavelength is 0.487m and the waves are close to constructive interference.
Calu

Homework Statement

Two speakers are 2m apart. You stand 5m back from the centre of the two speakers, and 2m to the side. The speakers are emitting sound at 700Hz, take the speed of sound to be 341 m/s.

Are the waves in constructive or destructive super position?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck on this question. I'm not even sure of any relevant equations that I can use. I think I'm √29m from the centre; √26m from one speaker and 6m from the other. If that helps at all.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The distance you are from the speakers is key, actually the difference in the distances. If they were the same distance from you, then things would be in phase. If they are half a wavelength different, they would be out of phase.

First get the distances right. √26 m makes sense for one, but not 6 m.

Once you get the distances correct, figure out the wavelength and compare.

I keep getting 6m for the second speaker. Taking the first to be the one on the left, I move 1m right to be in the centre, then 5m vertically, followed by 2m left. This gives me a 5m x 1m triangle, and √26m for the distance. I then take the right speaker move 1m left, 5m vertically, and 2m left again. Should this not give me a 5m x 3m triangle and √36m distance?

I also get a wavelength of 0.487m.

Calu said:
Should this not give me a 5m x 3m triangle and √36m distance?
52 + 32 ≠ 36

I also get a wavelength of 0.487m.
Good.

Doc Al said:
52 + 32 ≠ 36

Good.

Yep thanks, I was being an idiot.

√34-√29= 0.446m (3.s.f)

Can I say the waves interfere constructively?

Calu said:
Yep thanks, I was being an idiot.

√34-√29= 0.446m (3.s.f)

Can I say the waves interfere constructively?
It's close to a full wavelength difference, so it's close to constructive interference. (Looks like they chose the numbers a bit sloppily.)

Doc Al said:
It's close to a full wavelength difference, so it's close to constructive interference. (Looks like they chose the numbers a bit sloppily.)

Thank you very much for all your help.

FAQ: Constructive and Destructive Interference

1. What is constructive interference?

Constructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more waves meet and produce a resulting wave with a larger amplitude than the individual waves. This results in an increase in the intensity or energy of the wave.

2. How does constructive interference differ from destructive interference?

While constructive interference results in an increase in the amplitude of the resulting wave, destructive interference occurs when two or more waves meet and produce a resulting wave with a smaller amplitude than the individual waves. This results in a decrease in the intensity or energy of the wave.

3. What causes constructive and destructive interference to occur?

Constructive and destructive interference occur when two or more waves meet at the same point in space and time. The resulting interference is a result of the superposition of the individual waves.

4. What are some real-life examples of constructive and destructive interference?

One example of constructive interference is when sound waves from two speakers combine to produce a louder sound. An example of destructive interference is when noise-canceling headphones use destructive interference to cancel out external noise.

5. Can constructive and destructive interference occur with any type of wave?

Yes, constructive and destructive interference can occur with all types of waves, including sound waves, light waves, and water waves. The principles of interference apply to any type of wave that can be described by its amplitude and wavelength.

Back