Contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions

In summary: Frankly, I'm not sure when convolution method is actually applicable. Furthermore, once I have the contact rates at time ##t## across the entire domain, to find its value within a certain region (say, ##a \leq x \leq b## in 1D domain), do I simply take the integral of the resultant contact PDF from ##a## to ##b##?If you have a function f(x,t) which is a function of both space and time then the convolution of f(x,t) with a density function is a good approximation to the function f(x,t). However, it is not a perfect approximation, and the error can be quantified as the
nigels
Hi all,

I'm interested in obtaining some measure of contact (or encounter) likelihood between two individuals, each is spatially distributed with some probability density function at time ##t## such that,

Space use of individual 1 = ##u(\mathbf{x}, t)##
Space use of individual 2 = ##v(\mathbf{x}, t)##

Would I solve for the area overlap between ##u(\mathbf{x},t)## and ##v(\mathbf{x},t)##, perhaps by taking the integral of their joint distribution? Or should I take the convolution of the two? Frankly, I'm not sure when convolution method is actually applicable. Furthermore, once I have the contact rates at time ##t## across the entire domain, to find its value within a certain region (say, ##a \leq x \leq b## in 1D domain), do I simply take the integral of the resultant contact PDF from ##a## to ##b##?

Sorry if this question is too elementary. I really appreciate all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question isn't too elementary. I can't understand it!

nigels said:
I'm interested in obtaining some measure of contact (or encounter) likelihood between two individuals, each is spatially distributed with some probability density function at time ##t## such that,

Space use of individual 1 = ##u(\mathbf{x}, t)##
Space use of individual 2 = ##v(\mathbf{x}, t)##

This sounds like a description of a real world problem, but it needs refining. If we give a density function for the probability that a particle is "at position x at time t" and ask something about what happens in a "time interval" then we need more than the the density function to answer such a question.

The particle might be moving from place to place in a continuous fashion. A person who took someI (position,time) measurements could fit a probability density function [itex] u(x,t) [/itex] to the data, but that function isn't a model for how the particle is moving because it doesn't capture the requirement for continuous motion.

If we assume that a trajectory of the particle is generated by taking an independent random sample from the density [itex] u(x,t) [/itex] at each instant of time t, then we have a very jumpy discontinuous motion , more jumpy than "Brownian" motion. The mathematics of something moving in "randomly" in time needs to be described by a "stochastic process", not merely by a probability density function.

If you are dealing with events given by discrete intervals of space and time (like "person A is in room 25 during the hour 3 of the day") and you don't intend to subdivide these intervals then it might be possible to model movement by taking a random sample from a discrete density [itex]u(x,t) [/itex] at each discrete interval of time. Is your problem discrete?

Hi Stephen,

My question does pertain to a real-world problem, and the two dependent variables are actually steady-state solutions to a set of Fokker-Planck equations modeling an advection-diffusion process given static point-attractors. So the system is spatio-temporally continuous (time interval converges to zero in the derivation of the Fokker-Planck).

Last edited:
If you have trajectories that are solutions to a deterministic set of equations and you want to introduce probability into the picture then you must be specific about how this probability arises. For example, you might have a distribution on the set of initial conditions and pick an initial condition at random and then pick the trajectory that is a solution for that initial condition. This is a random selection of an entire trajectory, not a random selection of a single point (x,t). If you dealing with data from an experiment then probability might enter the picture as a random error in measurement.

If you have specific trajectory x = f(t) and pick t at random from some distribution then you can find the value of x. This gives a random selection of (x,t). However, a probability density u(x,t) fit to such data is not a good model for continuous motion of given particle. In continuous motion, the particle's position at (x,t+h) is not independent of the position at (x,t). So independent random samples from u(x,t) "at each instant of time" do not model the trajectory of a single particle correctly.

Last edited:

Related to Contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions

1. What is the concept of "contact rate" when discussing individuals with different probability density functions?

The "contact rate" refers to the frequency with which individuals of different probability density functions interact or come into contact with each other. It is a measure of the likelihood that individuals from different populations will encounter each other.

2. How do we calculate the contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions?

The contact rate can be calculated by multiplying the population size of one group by the probability density function of the other group and vice versa, and then summing these values for all possible pairs of individuals.

3. What is the significance of studying the contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions?

Studying the contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions can help us understand how populations interact and how different factors, such as environmental conditions or migration patterns, can affect the spread of diseases or the competition for resources.

4. Can the contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions change over time?

Yes, the contact rate can change over time as populations grow, migrate, or experience changes in environmental conditions. These changes can impact the frequency and intensity of interactions between individuals with different probability density functions.

5. How can the contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions be used in real-world applications?

The concept of contact rate between individuals of different probability density functions is often used in epidemiology to model the spread of infectious diseases. It can also be applied in ecology to study how species interact and compete for resources in different habitats.