Containing Plasma - Electric & Magnetic Fields Explained

• Thread starter EvilTesla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary, containing a plasma requires both an electric and magnetic field. One can find information on tokamaks, which use magnetic fields, for plasma confinement. However, understanding the physics behind it may be challenging. Different methods are used to contain different types of plasma, such as a candle flame, lightning, neon signs, and the plasma in the Sun.
EvilTesla
Recently I have heard that to contain a plasma, you need both an electric and magnetic field.

I'd like to look into this more, does anyone know where I can find information on it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't remember where it is but look up a toroid plasma reactor thingy. It uses magnetic fields. Found out about it as we were making our amateur particle accelerator. The reactor starts with a T...thats all i know :)

EDIT: Tokamak <---that's it.

That's the problem.

I can find articles on the EXISTENCE of a Tokamak, but nothing on the physics that I can understand.

Maby that's the problem, I COULD just look up a bunch of papers on plasma confinement, but I know I wouldn't understand them..

MMM!

thanks very much

wow...261 pages. I hope I have the time, perservearence, and knowledge to understand it all.

It depends on the plasma.

A candle flame, a very weak plasma, requires nothing to "contain it". A bolt of lightning is self-contained by its own electromagnetic pinch. The plasma in a neon sign is contained by glass (though it forms a sheath parallel to the glass surface). And the plasma in the Sun is almost contained by gravity (but it leaks out through the solar wind)

Related to Containing Plasma - Electric & Magnetic Fields Explained

What is plasma and why is it important to contain?

Plasma is the fourth state of matter, consisting of a gas-like mixture of positively and negatively charged particles. It is important to contain plasma because it has potential applications in fields such as energy production, space propulsion, and materials processing.

How do electric and magnetic fields play a role in containing plasma?

Electric and magnetic fields are used to confine and control plasma. Electric fields can accelerate and heat the plasma, while magnetic fields can shape and contain it. Together, these fields form what is known as a magnetic confinement device, such as a tokamak or stellarator.

What is the difference between a toroidal and a poloidal magnetic field?

A toroidal magnetic field is a circular field that runs around the axis of a magnetic confinement device, while a poloidal magnetic field runs along the length of the device. These two fields work together to create a helical path for the plasma to follow, keeping it contained and preventing it from touching the walls of the device.

How do scientists control the shape and stability of plasma in a magnetic confinement device?

Scientists use a combination of electric and magnetic fields, as well as plasma heating techniques, to control the shape and stability of plasma. They carefully adjust the strength and direction of these fields to keep the plasma confined and prevent it from becoming unstable and escaping.

What are some challenges in containing plasma, and how are scientists working to overcome them?

Some challenges in containing plasma include controlling and sustaining high temperatures, preventing the plasma from touching the walls of the device, and finding ways to efficiently extract energy from the plasma. Scientists are working to overcome these challenges through advanced technologies and research, such as developing new materials for the walls of the device and improving heating techniques to achieve even higher temperatures.