Continuity: Constant mass flow rate

In summary, the aorta carries blood at a speed of 40 cm/s and has a radius of 1.1cm. The capillaries have a speed of 0.07 cm/s and a radius of 6 x 10^-4 cm. By using the equation A1 x V1 = A2 x V2, where A is the cross sectional area and V is the velocity, we can determine the number of capillaries in the human body. Using this equation and the given data, we find that the number of capillaries is approximately 152.05.
chantalprince

Homework Statement

The aorta carries blood away from the heart at a speed of about 40 cm/s and has a radius of approx. 1.1cm. The aorta branches eventually into a large number of tiny capillaries that distribute the blood to the various body organs. In a capillary, the blood speed is approx. 0.07 cm/s, and the radius is about 6 x 10 -4 cm. Treat the blood as an incompressible flulid and use these data to determine the approx number of capillaries in the human body.

Homework Equations

I think: A1 x V1 = A2 x V2 and A = pi (r)^2

A = cross sectional area of tube
V= velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out the areas of the cross sections of the capillary and the aorta.

I have labeled them: Ac and Aa respectively.

Ac= 1.13097 x 10^-6 cm^2

Aa= 3.8013 cm^2

I cannot figure out where to go with this information. It seems like I need to know a volume or a length of some sort.

Can anybody help me out please?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The flow rate in must equal the flow rate out. The flow rate in is [tex] A_1 \cdot V_1 [/tex] or about [tex]152.05 \frac{cm^3}{s}[/tex].

The flow rate out must equal this, no matter how many paths it takes. Therefore [tex] A_2 \cdot V_2 \cdot N[/tex] must equal 152.05, where N is the number of capillaries.

CS

Thank you very much Stewartcs!

Related to Continuity: Constant mass flow rate

1. What is continuity?

Continuity is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that states that the mass of a fluid remains constant as it flows through a given area over time. This means that the amount of fluid entering a system must be equal to the amount of fluid exiting the system.

2. What is constant mass flow rate?

Constant mass flow rate is a term used to describe a fluid flow where the mass of the fluid entering a system is equal to the mass of the fluid exiting the system over time. This ensures that the principle of continuity is satisfied.

3. How is continuity related to constant mass flow rate?

Continuity and constant mass flow rate are closely related because the principle of continuity requires that the mass flow rate remains constant in a system. This means that the amount of fluid entering and exiting a system must be equal, leading to a constant mass flow rate.

4. What are the applications of continuity and constant mass flow rate?

The principle of continuity and constant mass flow rate are important in many industries, including fluid mechanics, hydraulics, and aerodynamics. They are used to analyze and design systems involving the flow of fluids, such as pipes, pumps, and aircraft wings.

5. How is continuity and constant mass flow rate measured?

Continuity and constant mass flow rate are measured through various methods, including flow meters, mass flow controllers, and pressure sensors. These devices measure the flow rate and pressure of a fluid to ensure that the principle of continuity is satisfied and a constant mass flow rate is maintained.