Continuity of a Function: Definition & Examples

Can you tell me what is it or some hints?Since g(0) = 0, this implies that f(0) = 0. Therefore, we can rewrite our statement to say that for every value of ##\epsilon > 0##, there is some value of ##\delta > 0## such that, for all x, if ##x < \delta##, then ##|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon##. And this is exactly what we need to show that f is continuous at 0.
Unusualskill
(a) State precisely the definition of: a function f is continuous at a point
a ∈ R.

(b) At which points x ∈R is the function:
f(x) = sin(1/x)continuous?
You may assume that g(x) = 1=x is continuous on its domain, and
h(x) = sin(x) is continuous on its domain.

(c) Let f and g be functions such that:
1. g is continuous at 0, and g(0) = 0.
2. For all x∈ R, lf(x)l <= lg(x)l.
Use the
ϵ− δ definition of limit to show that f is continuous at 0.

I did part (a) and (b) but i don understand how to do part(c).Can any1 provide guidance on it?thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Unusualskill said:
(c) Let f and g be functions such that:
1. g is continuous at 0, and g(0) = 0.
2. For all x∈ R, lf(x)l <= lg(x)l.
Use the
ϵ− δ definition of limit to show that f is continuous at 0.

I did part (a) and (b) but i don understand how to do part(c).Can any1 provide guidance on it?thanks
First, write down precisely what the definition of continuity requires in order for an arbitrary function f to be continuous at 0. Then, if it is not already written in terms of ϵ− δ, translate the limit into the exact ϵ− δ definition of a limit. You should now have an ϵ− δ definition of what it would mean for an arbitrary function f to be continuous at 0. If you are unsure about any of this, write down exactly what you did for these parts here on the forum.
Now, let f be any function that satisfies requirement (2) of part (c). Do you see anything in your definition that can now be simplified in this special case?

slider142 said:
First, write down precisely what the definition of continuity requires in order for an arbitrary function f to be continuous at 0. Then, if it is not already written in terms of ϵ− δ, translate the limit into the exact ϵ− δ definition of a limit. You should now have an ϵ− δ definition of what it would mean for an arbitrary function f to be continuous at 0. If you are unsure about any of this, write down exactly what you did for these parts here on the forum.
Now, let f be any function that satisfies requirement (2) of part (c). Do you see anything in your definition that can now be simplified in this special case?
What I did:
For f to be continuous at 0, lim f(x) as x approaches to 0 =f(0).
Thus, lim f(x) at x approaches to 0 exists and equal to f(0). If for every epsilon, there exists a delta such that if x satisfies
0<lxl<delta then lf(x)-f(0)l<epsilon
Can guide me on how to continue ?thank you

Unusualskill said:
What I did:
For f to be continuous at 0, lim f(x) as x approaches to 0 =f(0).
Thus, lim f(x) at x approaches to 0 exists and equal to f(0). If for every epsilon, there exists a delta such that if x satisfies
0<lxl<delta then lf(x)-f(0)l<epsilon
Can guide me on how to continue ?thank you
Great. This is the statement that we would like to be true; that is, we want to prove that this statement is true for the particular function f described by precepts (1) and (2).
So far, our definitions only involve one function: f. Precept (2) tells us that the particular function we want to consider must have the property that "##|f(x)| \leq |g(x)|## for all values of x". We would like to somehow replace all occurrences of f with g, since we know that g is continuous at 0 (precept (1)).
Hmm. We know that we would like ##|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon##. We would like to claim that there is a value of ##\delta## that makes this inequality true. But wait. We do have a value of ##\delta## that makes g continuous at 0. Let us write out exactly what it means, in ##\epsilon-\delta## form, for g to be continuous at 0, given that g(0) = 0.
Our plan is to use this inequality, along with the inequality relating f and g, to claim that there is a value of ##\delta## for which ##|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon##.

Last edited:
slider142 said:
Great. This is the statement that we would like to be true; that is, we want to prove that this statement is true for the particular function f described by precepts (1) and (2).
So far, our definitions only involve one function: f. Precept (2) tells us that the particular function we want to consider must have the property that "##|f(x)| \leq |g(x)|## for all values of x". We would like to somehow replace all occurrences of f with g, since we know that g is continuous at 0 (precept (1)).
Hmm. We know that we would like ##|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon##. We would like to claim that there is a value of ##\delta## that makes this inequality true. But wait. We do have a value of ##\delta## that makes g continuous at 0. Let us write out exactly what it means, in ##\epsilon-\delta## form, for g to be continuous at 0, given that g(0) = 0.
Our plan is to use this inequality, along with the inequality relating f and g, to claim that there is a value of ##\delta## for which ##|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon##.

Thanks for your guidance. Now, I reached lf(x)l<=lg(x)l<epsilon >>>>lf(x)l<epsilon... How should I continue?

Unusualskill said:
Thanks for your guidance. Now, I reached lf(x)l<=lg(x)l<epsilon >>>>lf(x)l<epsilon... How should I continue?
That's perfect. Now we know that for every value of ##\epsilon > 0##, there is some value of ##\delta > 0## such that, for all x, if ##x < \delta##, then ##|f(x)| < \epsilon##. We would just like to change that last phrase to ##|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon##.
Remember that ##|f(x)| \leq |g(x)|## for all values of x. What does this imply about f(0) ?

Can you tell me what is it or some hints?

Unusualskill said:
Can you tell me what is it or some hints?
Since ##|f(x)| \leq |g(x)|## for all values of x, we must have ##|f(0)| \leq |g(0)|##. Since g(0) = 0, what does this imply about f(0) ?

slider142 said:
Since ##|f(x)| \leq |g(x)|## for all values of x, we must have ##|f(0)| \leq |g(0)|##. Since g(0) = 0, what does this imply about f(0) ?
Thanks alot. It implies that f(0) must be 0 also...!thanks!

Likes slider142

Related to Continuity of a Function: Definition & Examples

1. What is the definition of continuity for a function?

The definition of continuity for a function is that the function must have a smooth and unbroken graph, with no sudden jumps or holes. This means that as the input values of the function approach a certain point, the output values also approach a certain point, without any gaps or breaks in the graph.

2. How can I determine if a function is continuous or not?

A function is continuous if it passes the three-part definition of continuity: the function is defined at a specific point, the limit of the function exists at that point, and the limit is equal to the actual function value at that point. If any of these conditions are not met, then the function is not continuous.

3. What are some common examples of continuous functions?

Some common examples of continuous functions include linear functions, polynomial functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. These functions have smooth and unbroken graphs and meet the definition of continuity.

4. Can a function be continuous at one point and not continuous at another?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at one point and not continuous at another. This means that the function may have a smooth and unbroken graph except for one specific point where it does not meet the definition of continuity. This is known as a point of discontinuity.

5. How is continuity related to differentiability?

Continuity and differentiability are closely related concepts. A function must be continuous in order to be differentiable at a specific point. This means that a function must have a smooth and unbroken graph in order for it to have a derivative at that point. However, a function can be continuous without being differentiable at a certain point, as long as it meets the definition of continuity.