Continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function

In summary, the conversation is about determining whether or not the statement "if f is a real-valued, decreasing differentiable function on [1, \infty) with a limit of 0 at infinity, then the derivative of f is continuous" is true. The person asking the question has tried working with definitions and consulted references, but has not been able to find a proof or counterexample. Another person suggests using a canonical example and modifying it to be monotone, but the original questioner is still unsure how to apply this to their question.
Petek
Gold Member

Homework Statement

To solve a problem in a book, I need to know whether or not the following is true:

Let f be a real-valued, decreasing differentiable function defined on the interval [itex] [1, \infty)[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = 0[/itex]. Then the derivative of f is continuous.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried working directly with the definitions (decreasing function, continuity, derivative), but got nowhere. Consulted various references (such as baby Rudin and Hobson's Theory of Functions of a Real Variable), with no luck. Spent time Googling combinations of the various terms, again with no results.

I suspect that the above statement is true. The canonical example of a differentiable function whose derivative is not continuous (see here) is not monotone in any interval containing the origin. However, I can't find either a proof or a counterexample.

Physics news on Phys.org
Petek said:

Homework Statement

To solve a problem in a book, I need to know whether or not the following is true:

Let f be a real-valued, decreasing differentiable function defined on the interval [itex] [1, \infty)[/itex] such that [itex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} f(x) = 0[/itex]. Then the derivative of f is continuous.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried working directly with the definitions (decreasing function, continuity, derivative), but got nowhere. Consulted various references (such as baby Rudin and Hobson's Theory of Functions of a Real Variable), with no luck. Spent time Googling combinations of the various terms, again with no results.

I suspect that the above statement is true. The canonical example of a differentiable function whose derivative is not continuous (see here) is not monotone in any interval containing the origin. However, I can't find either a proof or a counterexample.

Your canonical example may not be monotone near the origin, but if you change a bit you can make one that is. Suppose you subtract say, 3x?

Thanks for the suggestion! By subtracting 3x from the function, we subtract 3 from the derivative. That makes the derivative negative and so the original function is monotone decreasing. I'll have to think about how to apply that to my original question.

Related to Continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function

1. What is the definition of continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function?

The continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function refers to the smoothness and connectedness of the graph of the derivative of a function. A function is considered to have a continuous derivative if there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph of its derivative.

2. How is the continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function different from the continuity of the function itself?

The continuity of a function describes its behavior at a specific point, while the continuity of the derivative describes the behavior of the function's slope at that point. A function can be continuous at a point but have a discontinuous derivative, and vice versa.

3. What are the requirements for a function to have a continuous derivative?

A function must be differentiable at a point in order to have a continuous derivative at that point. This means that the function must have a defined derivative (slope) at that point and that the derivative must exist and be finite.

4. Can a function have a continuous derivative at all points?

No, a function can have a continuous derivative at some points but not at others. This is because a function may have points where it is not differentiable, meaning that the derivative does not exist or is not finite.

5. How does the continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function relate to the graph of the function?

The continuity of the derivative of a decreasing differentiable function is closely related to the graph of the function. In fact, if a function is decreasing and differentiable, then its derivative will also be decreasing and continuous. This means that the graph of the function and its derivative will have a similar shape and behavior.

Back