Contiuation Kirchhsoffs Circuit Problem

• Thread starter Pruddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the currents and voltages in a circuit using loop equations. The values of i1, i2, and i3 are determined and used to find the current in the 10.0Ω resistor and the 4.5V battery. The direction of the current is also checked and confirmed to be correct. To calculate the voltage across the 15.0 resistor, Ohm's Law can be used and the formula for power dissipation in a resistor can be found in notes or a textbook.
Pruddy
1) Please take a look at the attachment below in order to solve the problem. Using the figure at the right determine the values of i1, i2 and i3. Input your answers in the form "a.bc x 10^(y) A".

2) Using the correct results from #1, determine the following. For A and B you must also tell if the current directions shown are correct. Give your answer in the requested format.

A. The current in the 10.0 resistor. Answer format: "abc mA, Y/N" . Y/N means choose Y if the current is as shown, and choose N if the direction of the current is not correct.

B. The current in the 4.5 V battery. Answer format: "abc mA, Y/N" . Y/N means choose Y if the current is as shown, and choose N if the direction of the current is not correct.

C. The voltage across the 15.0 resistor. Answer format: "ab.c V".

D. How much power is dissipated in the 5.0 resistor? Answer Format: "abc mW"

I was able to solve i2, i1, and i3 from the loop equation

Loop: i1(10Ω) - 9.0V + 6.0 V - i3(15Ω+20Ω) = 0
Loop: i3(15Ω+20Ω)+i2(5Ω+12Ω) - 4.5V = 0
Loop: i1(10Ω) - 9.0V + 6.0V + i2(12Ω + 5Ω) - 4.5V = 0
Junction: i1 + i3 = i2

i3 = -6/170 A ≈ -0.005381 A
i1 = ( -0.005381(15Ω+20Ω) + 3)/10 = 0.2811665
i2 = (4.5 - (-0.005381 (15Ω+20Ω))/(5Ω+12Ω)) = 0.2757844

The next problem that we should find the current in the 10.0Ω resistor and the current in the 4.5 V battery. And also to state if the direction of the current is correct or not using the loop equations
I believe the current in the 10Ω resistor is i1 = 0.2811665 and the current in the 4.5 V is equal to
0.2757844 and the directions of the current is correct according to the loop equations. I am not to sure if my answers are correct or not. I will be very grateful if anyone can help.

I have two more other questions.
Please i) how do i calculate the voltage across the 15.0 resistor
ii) How much power is dissipated in the 5.0 resistor

Attachments

• Capture 3.1.PNG
    Capture 3.1.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pruddy said:
I was able to solve i2, i1, and i3 from the loop equation

Loop: i1(10Ω) - 9.0V + 6.0 V - i3(15Ω+20Ω) = 0
Loop: i3(15Ω+20Ω)+i2(5Ω+12Ω) - 4.5V = 0
Loop: i1(10Ω) - 9.0V + 6.0V + i2(12Ω + 5Ω) - 4.5V = 0
Junction: i1 + i3 = i2

i3 = -6/170 A ≈ -0.005381 A
i1 = ( -0.005381(15Ω+20Ω) + 3)/10 = 0.2811665
i2 = (4.5 - (-0.005381 (15Ω+20Ω))/(5Ω+12Ω)) = 0.2757844

These seem to be correct.
Pruddy said:
The next problem that we should find the current in the 10.0Ω resistor and the current in the 4.5 V battery. And also to state if the direction of the current is correct or not using the loop equations
I believe the current in the 10Ω resistor is i1 = 0.2811665 and the current in the 4.5 V is equal to
0.2757844 and the directions of the current is correct according to the loop equations. I am not to sure if my answers are correct or not.
These are also correct.
Pruddy said:
I have two more other questions.
Please i) how do I calculate the voltage across the 15.0 resistor
ii) How much power is dissipated in the 5.0 resistor

For part i, you could use the Ohm's Law's formula and for part ii, I think you should be able to find the formula for the power dissipated through a resistor in your notes or your textbook.(Just make sure that you understand its derivation)

Thanks a lot Sunil. I am very grateful!

Related to Contiuation Kirchhsoffs Circuit Problem

1. What is the Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem?

The Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the current and voltage values in a circuit with multiple branches and loops. It is an extension of Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, which state that the sum of currents at any junction in a circuit must equal zero, and the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop must equal the voltage source.

2. What makes the Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem different from the regular Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws?

The regular Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws only apply to circuits with a single loop or branch, while the Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem deals with more complicated circuits with multiple loops and branches. It involves solving a system of equations to find the unknown currents and voltages in the circuit.

3. What are the steps involved in solving the Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem?

The first step is to label all the currents and voltages in the circuit. Then, using Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, write equations for each junction and loop in the circuit. Next, solve the system of equations to find the unknown values. Finally, check your solution by ensuring that the sum of currents at each junction is equal to zero and the sum of voltage drops around each loop is equal to the voltage source.

4. What are some common difficulties in solving the Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem?

One common difficulty is determining the direction of current flow in each branch of the circuit. It is important to be consistent with the direction chosen for each current. Another difficulty is dealing with non-ideal components, such as resistors with non-linear behavior, which may require more complex equations to be solved.

5. How is the Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem useful in real-world applications?

The Continuation Kirchhoff's Circuit Problem is used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and computer science. It is helpful in designing and analyzing circuits with multiple components and can be used to troubleshoot and optimize existing circuit designs. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of complex electrical systems.