Contour Integral to Properly Posting Math Problems on Online Forums

In summary, you tried to enter the following code:i = Sqrt[-1];x[t_] := r*Cos[t] - 1;y[t_] := r * Sin[t] - i;K[x_, y_] := {x + i y}but it resulted in an error.
Othman0111

Homework Statement

upload_2019-2-8_15-53-7.png

Homework Equations

dd9c1e28f7505efc2e8176323bfc27901c5dfb95.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Image-10.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-8_15-53-7.png
    upload_2019-2-8_15-53-7.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 484
  • dd9c1e28f7505efc2e8176323bfc27901c5dfb95.png
    dd9c1e28f7505efc2e8176323bfc27901c5dfb95.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 844
  • Image-10.jpg
    Image-10.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
This is my first time here. Please don't delete my thread.

The code I tried to input:

In[64]:= r = 2;
i = Sqrt[-1];
x[t_] := r*Cos[t] - 1;
y[t_] := r * Sin[t] - i;
K[x_, y_] := {x + i y}

In[70]:= f[K_] := 1/(K - (1 + i))

In[71]:= Integrate[f[K], {t, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]

Out[71]= (2 \[Pi])/((-1 - I) + K)

the output should be 2πi. Right?

Your handwritten picture is not readable. You are violating our guidelines.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/guidelines-for-students-and-helpers.686781/ said:
  1. Do not simply post images of the problem statement or your work.
    Please make the effort to type up the problem statement and your work. Ask yourself "If I can't be bothered to spend my time typing it, why should they be bothered to spend their time reading it, much less responding to it?" Use images for supporting figures. You may, of course, attach an electronic copy of the problem statement in addition to the typed version. Indeed, if it's a complicated or long problem, you probably should, but you should always provide a typed version as well.

While posting images may be convenient for you, it's actually one of the most effective ways of getting your request for help ignored. Images are often too big, too small, rotated, upside down, out of focus, dimly lit, or of otherwise poor quality. Your handwriting may not be as easy to read as you think it is. Even when images are readable, they often make viewing and responding to a thread very inconvenient, particularly on a mobile device. Moreover, they're a hindrance to the helpers as portions of the problem statement or your work can't easily be quoted. Using images alone doesn't qualify as filling out the homework template, so your post may be deleted.
  2. Don't post poor images.
    When you do use an image in your post, make sure it's in focus, oriented the right way, well lit, etc. It seems like this should be obvious, but experience has shown that people frequently post incredibly poor images. Add images as attachments to the post. Don't host it externally. That way it will remain on PF indefinitely, and your thread will remain useful to future visitors.

Likes jim mcnamara

Related to Contour Integral to Properly Posting Math Problems on Online Forums

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral used in complex analysis to measure the total of a function along a given path or curve in the complex plane. It is used to calculate the total value of a function in the complex plane, rather than just at a specific point.

2. How is a contour integral different from a regular integral?

A contour integral is different from a regular integral in that it is performed along a specific path or curve in the complex plane, rather than over a range of values on a real number line. It also takes into account the complex nature of the function being integrated.

3. What is the significance of a contour integral in mathematics?

The significance of a contour integral in mathematics lies in its applications in complex analysis, which is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the calculation of complex functions and has many practical uses in solving real-world problems.

4. How is a contour integral calculated using Mathematica?

In Mathematica, a contour integral can be calculated using the ContourIntegrate function, which takes in the function to be integrated and the path or curve along which the integration is to be performed. It also allows for the inclusion of any necessary constants or variables in the function.

5. What are some common applications of contour integrals?

Contour integrals have many applications in mathematics and the sciences. Some common examples include calculating electric potential in physics, solving differential equations in engineering, and determining probabilities in statistics. They are also used in finance, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others.