Contour Integral of 5z^4+z^3+2: Finding a Square Contour

• Thread starter doey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the contour integral of a function in a circle and a square contour. The attempt at a solution involves factoring and identifying poles, but it is noted that the function does not have any poles. The person seeks help with solving the problem.
doey

Homework Statement

given 5z^4+z^3+2

Homework Equations

the question asking me to find the contour integral of thi function in the
C circle of |z|=1. then how about if the Contour is a square with point [0,0][1,0][1,i][0,i] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea abt how to do and i attempt to factor up to
z^4[5+ (1/z) +(2/z^4)] and then juz 2∏i(coefficient of 1/z) am i wrong?
and i totally no idea of my pole for the square contour [0,0][1,0][1,i][0,i], anyone pls help me !

Physics news on Phys.org
doey said:

Homework Statement

given 5z^4+z^3+2

Homework Equations

the question asking me to find the contour integral of thi function in the
C circle of |z|=1. then how about if the Contour is a square with point [0,0][1,0][1,i][0,i] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea abt how to do and i attempt to factor up to
z^4[5+ (1/z) +(2/z^4)] and then juz 2∏i(coefficient of 1/z) am i wrong?
and i totally no idea of my pole for the square contour [0,0][1,0][1,i][0,i], anyone pls help me !

Your function doesn't have any poles. Does it?

Related to Contour Integral of 5z^4+z^3+2: Finding a Square Contour

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is a type of integral used in complex analysis to calculate the total change in a complex-valued function along a given curve or path.

2. How do you find the contour integral of a given function?

To find the contour integral of a given function, you need to first parameterize the contour (or path) and then evaluate the integral using the parameterization.

3. What is a square contour?

A square contour is a type of path or curve that is in the shape of a square. It is often used in complex analysis to simplify the calculation of contour integrals.

4. Can you explain the steps for finding the contour integral of 5z^4+z^3+2 using a square contour?

First, we need to parameterize the square contour. This can be done by setting z as a function of t, where t ranges from 0 to 1. Next, we substitute this parameterization into the given function and evaluate the integral using the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. Why is finding the contour integral of a given function important?

Finding the contour integral of a function allows us to calculate the total change of a complex-valued function over a given path. This has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where complex numbers are used to model real-world phenomena.