Control Systems II: Design a Phase-Lag Network

In summary: You need to use the 'rlocus' command and specify the open loop transfer function. Then, you can use the 'step' command to plot the step response of the closed loop system. In summary, the conversation discusses a unity feedback system with a given plant and the steps to determine the step response and settling time for a ramp input. The student is struggling with the root locus method and is seeking help to present a solution to the class.
jmattice

Homework Statement

A unity feedback system of the form:

X(s)-------->Gc(s)---------->G(s)------------>Y(s)
| |
| |
----<------------1---------<----

has a plant:

G(s) = _____5______
s(s2+6s+10)

a) Determine the step response when Gc(s) = 1, and calculate the settling time and steady state for a ramp input r(t)=t, t>0.

b) Design a lag network using the root locus method so that the velocity constant is increased to 10. Determine the settling time (with a 2% criterion) of the compensated system.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the transfer function [G(s)/1+Gc(s)G(s)] and drew the root locus plot. I tried to verify it in MATLAB but somehow it thinks the transfer function doesn't have complex roots. Plus the step response plot doesn't act the way it should. The settling time it shows is at 5.84s but it should be somewhere in the high thirties (number obtained from previous student's work).

From there I don't know where to go. I can do second-order systems easily but this third-order stuff is not my cup of tea. I feel like there are not enough constraints and I've read through the entire chapter but this textbook fails to give good examples. The professor just dumped it on us while neglecting to lecture on the subject. Plus he wants me to present a possible solution to the class.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to do the rootlocus of the open loop transfer function X(s)Gc(s)G(s). Matlab creates the root locus assuming you have unity negative feedback.

Related to Control Systems II: Design a Phase-Lag Network

1. What is a phase-lag network in control systems?

A phase-lag network is a type of filter used in control systems to improve the stability and performance of a system. It works by introducing a phase shift in the output signal, which helps to compensate for any phase lag caused by the system's dynamics.

2. How does a phase-lag network improve system performance?

A phase-lag network improves system performance by increasing the system's stability margin. This means that the system is less likely to become unstable or oscillate, and can respond more quickly and accurately to changes in the input signal.

3. How do you design a phase-lag network?

To design a phase-lag network, you first need to determine the desired phase shift and crossover frequency. Then, you can use mathematical equations and tools such as Bode plots and root locus plots to calculate the required gain and components for the network.

4. What are the advantages of using a phase-lag network?

Some advantages of using a phase-lag network include improved stability, faster and more accurate response to changes in the input signal, and the ability to compensate for phase lags in the system's dynamics. It can also help to reduce overshoot and steady-state error in the system's output.

5. Are there any limitations to using a phase-lag network?

One limitation of using a phase-lag network is that it can introduce additional phase shift and attenuation in the output signal, which can affect the system's overall performance. It is also important to carefully design and tune the network to avoid instability or oscillations in the system.