Controller Design: Learn How to Build Controllers

• Thread starter chronie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Controller
In summary: Heating, cooling, and lighting can all be controlled in a similar way.In summary, Allan Bradly offers a program that allows users to control actuators by reading sensors and programming the controllers parameters.
chronie
Hello all,

I am a Mechanical Engineering junior and I just finished with my first control systems class. I have found the class to be really interesting but it was all theory. I forgot to ask the professor before I left for summer, how do you actually build controllers?

I understand how to use Matlab's control features and everything but is there another program which will help you actually read-in the sensors and program a controller?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Allan Bradly offers the software for their controllers. You can read sensors, open and close valves, start and stop pumps, energize and cut-out heaters, and so on. You can do PIDs and just tune the constants with the software.

Oh okay so they are pretty much already assembled computers.

Let's say I have a temperature sensor connected to my computer and i want to control the temperature in the room with a heater, also connected to my pc.

Would I have to write a computer program and hook up my heater or would I have to buy an Allan Bradly if everything was not connected to my computer?

It's possible to read sensors and control actuators with MATLAB as well. The only knock on it is the fact that it's in Java and has a large back end (i.e. may not be suitable for high-performance applications, depending on what said application is).

chronie said:
Oh okay so they are pretty much already assembled computers.

Let's say I have a temperature sensor connected to my computer and i want to control the temperature in the room with a heater, also connected to my pc.

Would I have to write a computer program and hook up my heater or would I have to buy an Allan Bradly if everything was not connected to my computer?

To do control with your computer, you'll need a way to interface to the input sensor and the heater elements. With an Allan-Bradly controller, the interfaces are self contained and you "set up"/program the controllers parameters to fit your application.

Here's some Allan-Bradly temperature controllers:

900-TC_TemperatureControllerFamily_front1--lgprod.jpg

Features

Single-loop, high value, ON/OFF, or analog output controllers
1/8 DIN, 1/16 DIN and 1/32 DIN sizes
Various sensor inputs
Auto-tuning and self-tuning available to simplify startup
Heating, cooling, or heating/cooling control available
Manual output control (TC8 and TC16)
High visibility 4-digit, 11-segment status displays
Integral keypad with tactile feedback for setup and modification of parameters
Security modes/levels
Event input (TC8 and TC16) for multiple SP selection, controller RUN/STOP and
auto/manual mode change
http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/Sensors-Switches/Temperature-Sensors/Temperature-Controller#/tab2"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, a computer program would do for a thermostat if they were connected properly to the computer. LabView may be worth mentioning as a program. An embedded solution, perhaps with a microcontroller, is also a possibility. You could even do it as an analog circuit with a comparator.

You may want to have hysteresis so that the heater control does not flicker on and off.Of course there is more to controls than just thermostats.

FAQ: Controller Design: Learn How to Build Controllers

1. What is controller design?

Controller design is the process of designing a device or system that can manipulate or regulate the behavior of a dynamic system. It involves creating a control algorithm and implementing it in hardware or software to achieve a desired outcome.

2. Why is controller design important?

Controller design is important because it allows us to control and regulate complex systems in various applications such as robotics, aerospace, and industrial processes. It also helps improve system performance, stability, and efficiency.

3. What are the key elements of controller design?

The key elements of controller design include defining the system dynamics, determining control objectives, selecting an appropriate control algorithm, tuning the controller parameters, and implementing the controller in hardware or software.

4. How do I learn to build controllers?

To learn how to build controllers, you can start by gaining a solid understanding of control theory and its applications. You can also take courses or workshops on controller design, practice designing controllers for different systems, and learn from experienced engineers or researchers in the field.

5. What are some common challenges in controller design?

Some common challenges in controller design include dealing with system uncertainties, nonlinearity, and time-delay, selecting an appropriate control algorithm, tuning the controller parameters, and implementing the controller accurately in hardware or software.

Back