Converge pointwise with full Fourier series

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a piecewise function and its full Fourier series. The goal is to find values for m and b that will make the series converge pointwise on the interval -1 < x < 1 without computing any Fourier coefficients. The conversation also touches on the concept of piecewise smoothness and the conditions for a function to converge pointwise with its full Fourier series. There is some confusion about the meaning of "piecewise smooth" and it is clarified that there are no restrictions on m and b for the series to converge pointwise. The original problem is referenced and it is suggested that the goal may be to find specific values for m and b that will make the series converge to the function at all points
A.Magnus
I am working on a simple PDE problem on full Fourier series like this:

Given this piecewise function,

##f(x) =
\begin{cases}
e^x, &-1 \leq x \leq 0 \\
mx + b, &0 \leq x \leq 1.\\
\end{cases}##​

Without computing any Fourier coefficients, find any values of ##m## and ##b##, if there is any, that will make ##f(x)## converge pointwise on ##-1 < x < 1## with its full Fourier series.

I know for sure that if ##f(x)## is to converge pointwise with its full Fourier series, then ##f(x)## has to be piecewise smooth, meaning that each piece of ##f(x)## has to be differentiable.

(a) Is this the right way to go?
(b) If it is, how do you prove ##e^x## and ##mx + b## differentiable? By proving ##f'(x) = \lim_{x \to c}\frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c}## exists?

Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
  1. f(x) has to be continuous at x = 0.
  2. f'(x) has to be continuous at x = 0.

Svein said:
  1. f(x) has to be continuous at x = 0.
  2. f'(x) has to be continuous at x = 0.
I think I am confused with the word "piecewise smooth." I had always thought it means "smooth piece by piece," meaning that ##f(x) = e^x## is smooth individually and then the next ##f(x) = mx +b## is smooth individually also. But your response implies that both parts of ##f(x)## have to be smooth as one big piece. So I am wrong on this? Let me know and thank you!

A.Magnus said:
I think I am confused with the word "piecewise smooth." I had always thought it means "smooth piece by piece," meaning that ##f(x) = e^x## is smooth individually and then the next ##f(x) = mx +b## is smooth individually also. But your response implies that both parts of ##f(x)## have to be smooth as one big piece. So I am wrong on this? Let me know and thank you!

No, you are right. That means there are no conditions on m and b. Notice there is a difference between saying "the series converges pointwise" and "the series converges pointwise to f(x)". If it's the latter you have a condition.

Dick said:
No, you are right. That means there are no conditions on m and b. Notice there is a difference between saying "the series converges pointwise" and "the series converges pointwise to f(x)". If it's the latter you have a condition.
What do you mean by "there are no conditions on ##m## and ##b##"? Thanks. [Nice to see you again! See, I had to tend one course after another! :-) ]

A.Magnus said:
What do you mean by "there are no conditions on ##m## and ##b##"? Thanks. [Nice to see you again! See, I had to tend one course after another! :-) ]

I mean that it's piecewise smooth no matter what m and b are. Nice to see you!

Dick said:
I mean that it's piecewise smooth no matter what m and b are. Nice to see you!
Thanks! I think it means ##m, b## are good for any real numbers. You are always omniscience from A to Z, omnipresent, and omni-helpful, if that is the right word.

A.Magnus said:
I am working on a simple PDE problem on full Fourier series like this:

Given this piecewise function,

##f(x) =
\begin{cases}
e^x, &-1 \leq x \leq 0 \\
mx + b, &0 \leq x \leq 1.\\
\end{cases}##​

Without computing any Fourier coefficients, find any values of ##m## and ##b##, if there is any, that will make ##f(x)## converge pointwise on ##-1 < x < 1## with its full Fourier series.

I know for sure that if ##f(x)## is to converge pointwise with its full Fourier series, then ##f(x)## has to be piecewise smooth, meaning that each piece of ##f(x)## has to be differentiable.

(a) Is this the right way to go?
(b) If it is, how do you prove ##e^x## and ##mx + b## differentiable? By proving ##f'(x) = \lim_{x \to c}\frac{f(x) - f(c)}{x - c}## exists?

Thank you for your time.

Your statement " ... ##f(x)## has to be piecewise smooth..." is false: it does not have to be piecewise smooth. It just has to obey the Dirichlet conditions; see, eg.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirichlet_conditions . These do not involve smoothness or differentiablility.

So, with no restrictions on ##m,b## your function's Fourier series will converge pointwise on ##-1 \leq x \leq 1##, and will converge to ##f(x)## for ##-1 < x < 1, x \neq 0##. For some ##m,b## it will also converge to ##f(0)## when ##x = 0##, but for some other choices of ##m,b## it will converge to something else at ##x = 0## (but still converge).

@A.Magnus: I would almost bet that the original problem wants you to find m and b such that the FS converges pointwise to f(x). Otherwise there isn't much point to the problem. That would require specific values of m and b.

LCKurtz said:
@A.Magnus: I would almost bet that the original problem wants you to find m and b such that the FS converges pointwise to f(x). Otherwise there isn't much point to the problem. That would require specific values of m and b.
I have uploaded the page that has the original problem 9, see the attached file. The text is "Introduction to Applied PDE" by John Davis, let me know if I got it very wrong in the first place, I will happily stand to be corrected. Also do let me know how should I go ahead if I was wrong. Thank you!

PS:The text is extremely cut and dry, on top of that this is an online class, we get only reading assignments and homework, no lectures. Never complaining, so I take this site as crowd-teaching forum! :smile:

Attachments

• J.Davis-PDE_Exercise9.pdf
    175.4 KB · Views: 246
A.Magnus said:
I have uploaded the page that has the original problem 9, see the attached file. The text is "Introduction to Applied PDE" by John Davis, let me know if I got it very wrong in the first place, I will happily stand to be corrected. Also do let me know how should I go ahead if I was wrong. Thank you!

PS:The text is extremely cut and dry, on top of that this is an online class, we get only reading assignments and homework, no lectures. Never complaining, so I take this site as crowd-teaching forum! :smile:

The pdf displays upside-down on my screen, and I cannot rotate it (and so cannot read it). Anyway, have you read post #8?

Ray Vickson said:
The pdf displays upside-down on my screen, and I cannot rotate it (and so cannot read it). Anyway, have you read post #8?
Yes, I did see #8, I am about to response. For the file, I will attached another one, give me just a second. Thanks, Ray!

Ray Vickson said:
Ray, here is the corrected file. Feel free to
J.Davis-PDE_Exercise9.png
J.Davis-PDE_Exercise9.png
crowd-teach me. Thanks.

Ray Vickson said:
Your statement " ... ##f(x)## has to be piecewise smooth..." is false: it does not have to be piecewise smooth. It just has to obey the Dirichlet conditions; see, eg.,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirichlet_conditions . These do not involve smoothness or differentiablility.

So, with no restrictions on ##m,b## your function's Fourier series will converge pointwise on ##-1 \leq x \leq 1##, and will converge to ##f(x)## for ##-1 < x < 1, x \neq 0##. For some ##m,b## it will also converge to ##f(0)## when ##x = 0##, but for some other choices of ##m,b## it will converge to something else at ##x = 0## (but still converge).

Ray, here is what I copy down verbatim from the John Davis' text, page 88:

Theorem 3.2 (Pointwise Convergence of Fourier Series).
If ##f## is piecewise smooth on ##(-l, l)##, then the Fourier series of ##f## given by the above (3.8) converges pointwise on ##(-l, l)## and

##\frac{1}{2} a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} [a_n \cos (n \pi x/l) + b_n \sin(n \pi x/l] = \frac{f(x^+) + f(x^-)}{2}, \quad x \in (-l, l).##

Here, ##f(x^+) := \lim_{w \to x^+} f(w)## and ##f(x^-) := \lim_{w \to x^-} f(w)##, and (3.8) is referring to this: ##f(x) = \frac{1}{2} a_0 + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} [a_n \cos (n \pi x/l) + b_n \sin(n \pi x/l], \quad -l < x < l.##

Let me know what I got wrong. Thanks again and again.

FAQ: Converge pointwise with full Fourier series

1. What is the definition of "Converge pointwise with full Fourier series"?

Converge pointwise with full Fourier series refers to the mathematical concept of a function being approximated by a series of sine and cosine terms, known as a Fourier series, such that the series converges to the function at each individual point. In other words, as the number of terms in the series increases, the series becomes a better and better approximation of the original function at each point.

2. How is "Converge pointwise with full Fourier series" different from other types of convergence?

"Converge pointwise with full Fourier series" is a specific type of convergence known as pointwise convergence. Other types of convergence, such as uniform convergence, refer to the behavior of a function as a whole or over a range of values, rather than at individual points.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Converge pointwise with full Fourier series"?

Converge pointwise with full Fourier series has many applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It can be used to approximate and analyze periodic functions, solve differential equations, and study the behavior of waves and vibrations.

4. What are some limitations of "Converge pointwise with full Fourier series"?

While "Converge pointwise with full Fourier series" is a powerful tool for approximating functions, it does have some limitations. For example, it may not converge for functions with discontinuities or sharp changes, and the convergence may be slow for certain types of functions.

5. How does the number of terms in the Fourier series affect the convergence of "Converge pointwise with full Fourier series"?

The more terms included in the Fourier series, the better the convergence of "Converge pointwise with full Fourier series" will be. However, increasing the number of terms also means more complex calculations and longer computation times. It is important to find a balance between accuracy and efficiency when using this method.