Convergence/Divergence and Monotonicity of a Sequence

• Thread starter B18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: What does this have to do with this problem?The argument shows 0 is a lower bound, but not that it is the greatest lower bound.What is the definition for x to be the greatest lower bound of a set S of numbers? What does this have to do with this problem?
B18

Homework Statement

Show the following sequence to diverge, or converge. Determine if monotonic.
a sub n=n+(1/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the sequence does diverge. I found this because the limit as n→∞ the limit is going to ∞ as well.
I found that the sequence is monotonic by showing that a sub n is less than a sub n+1. I tried to do the first derivative test for this and was confused when I had the sequence decreasing from 0 to 1 and increasing from 1 to ∞. Wouldn't this make the sequence not monotonic? Just need an explanation to this.

Physics news on Phys.org
B18 said:

Homework Statement

Show the following sequence to diverge, or converge. Determine if monotonic.
a sub n=n+(1/n)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the sequence does diverge. I found this because the limit as n→∞ the limit is going to ∞ as well.
I found that the sequence is monotonic by showing that a sub n is less than a sub n+1. I tried to do the first derivative test for this and was confused when I had the sequence decreasing from 0 to 1 and increasing from 1 to ∞. Wouldn't this make the sequence not monotonic? Just need an explanation to this.

Surely you could show ##a_n<a_{n+1}## without resorting to calculus. But the sequence only has values on the integers 1,2,... so it would still be increasing.

LCKurtz said:
Surely you could show ##a_n<a_{n+1}## without resorting to calculus. But the sequence only has values on the integers 1,2,... so it would still be increasing.

So we are saying since sequences are only accountable for positive integers meaning the negative result on the first derivative test from 0 to 1 has no effect on monotocity.

Why did you try the first derivative test on a sequence??

Jorriss said:
Why did you try the first derivative test on a sequence??

To determine if the sequence is increasing or decreasing to show it is monotonic

B18 said:
So we are saying since sequences are only accountable for positive integers meaning the negative result on the first derivative test from 0 to 1 has no effect on monotocity.

Yes. And I'm also saying that using the derivative test on ##x+\frac 1 x## is way overkill, not to mention the fact that it confused the issue for you.

Would I be correct in saying this sequence has a lower bound of 0 but no upper bound?

B18 said:
Would I be correct in saying this sequence has a lower bound of 0
Is ##a_n>0## for all n? What do you think? Is that the greatest lower bound?
but no upper bound?

Is ##a_n > n##? Again, what do you think?

Yes I believe that 0 is the greatest lower bound. And after plotting a couple of points on a graph of this sequence it appears this is no least upper bound.

B18 said:
Yes I believe that 0 is the greatest lower bound. And after plotting a couple of points on a graph of this sequence it appears this is no least upper bound.

The problem with "beliefs" is that they are sometimes wrong. And saying "it appears" is a long way from a proof. If this is a homework problem, you have a ways to go before handing it in.

Well because there is not an m that is ≥ a sub n this tells me there is no least upper bound. I know the greatest lower bound is 0 because the sequence never goes below 0 and therefore there is an M that is ≤ to all a sub n. according to my class notes this is as much evidence as I can provide. That we have learned thus far.

B18 said:
Well because there is not an m that is ≥ a sub n this tells me there is no least upper bound. I know the greatest lower bound is 0 because the sequence never goes below 0 and therefore there is an M that is ≤ to all a sub n. according to my class notes this is as much evidence as I can provide. That we have learned thus far.

That argument shows 0 is a lower bound, but not that it is the greatest lower bound.

Do you have a quick explanation as to what makes a bound the least or greatest? Not seeing how 0 isn't the greatest lower bound when the sequence cannot go below that.

Last edited:
B18 said:
Do you have a quick explanation as to what makes a bound the least or greatest? Not seeing how 0 isn't the greatest lower bound when the sequence cannot go below that.

What is the definition for x to be the greatest lower bound of a set S of numbers?

Related to Convergence/Divergence and Monotonicity of a Sequence

1. What is the difference between convergence and divergence of a sequence?

Convergence of a sequence means that the terms of the sequence are getting closer and closer to a single value as the sequence progresses, while divergence means that the terms are getting farther and farther apart and do not approach a specific value.

2. How can I determine if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

To determine convergence or divergence of a sequence, you can use various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms of the sequence as n (the index of the sequence) approaches infinity.

3. What is the significance of monotonicity in a sequence?

A sequence is monotonic if its terms are either always increasing or always decreasing. Monotonicity is important because it helps in determining the convergence or divergence of a sequence. If a sequence is monotonic and bounded, it is guaranteed to be convergent.

4. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. A sequence can either be convergent, meaning its terms approach a single value, or divergent, meaning its terms do not approach a specific value.

5. How can I use the monotonicity of a sequence to prove convergence or divergence?

If a sequence is monotonic and bounded, it is guaranteed to be convergent. This means that if a sequence is always increasing or always decreasing, and its terms do not exceed a certain value, then the sequence is convergent. On the other hand, if a sequence is not monotonic, then it may or may not be convergent and other tests must be used to determine its convergence or divergence.