Convergence in Galilean space-time

In summary, the differentiable vector fields on Galilean spacetime need to be defined as a manifold in order to be discussed. There is no norm defined in this space, so convergence cannot be defined without a good reason. However, once a manifold has been defined, it is easy to generalize to other coordinate systems.
Wox
To talk about differentiable vector fields in Galilean space-time, one needs to define convergence. Galilean space-time is an affine space and its associated vector space is a real 4-dimensional vector space which has a 3-dimensional subspace isomorphic to Euclidean vector space.

There is no norm defined in Galilean space-time so how does one define convergence in this space?

Physics news on Phys.org
Galilean spacetime is really just the set ##\mathbb R^4## with a set of preferred coordinate systems, so you would need a good reason to not use the standard topology on ##\mathbb R^4##.

To even talk about "differentiable vector fields" on Galilean spacetime, it must be defined as a manifold. A manifold is a Hausdorff and 2nd countable topological space with other stuff defined on it. In this case, I see no reason to not take the 2nd countable Hausdorff space to be ##\mathbb R^4## with the standard topology.

Fredrik, it is possible, and in some way quite fruitful for the purposes of generalization, to treat Galilean spacetime not as ℝ4, but as an affine structure which better embodies the principle of relativity. See the attached excerpt from Roger Penrose's Road to Reality. He associates Aristotelian physics with ℝ4, but he feels Galilean physics deserve something greater. (Then after the part I excerpted, he goes even grander, developing what he calls the "Newtonian" spacetime, which embodies the principle of equivalence. It's really an amazing book.)

Attachments

• Penrose Galilean Excerpt.pdf
    137.2 KB · Views: 289
Yes, I skimmed that section a few years ago, so I'm familiar with the idea. I'm also familiar with the basics of fiber bundles. But I have to admit that I don't really see the point. It just seems to make things more complicated.

Fredrik said:
Yes, I skimmed that section a few years ago, so I'm familiar with the idea. I'm also familiar with the basics of fiber bundles. But I have to admit that I don't really see the point. It just seems to make things more complicated.
The point is to put the theory in such a form that you just need to make a trivial change in order to get to other theories like SR and GR. It's just like how we express classical mechanics in terms of Hamiltonians and Poisson brackets, so we can easily move into quantum mechanics by just tweaking the theory slightly.

lugita15 said:
The point is to put the theory in such a form that you just need to make a trivial change in order to get to other theories like SR and GR. It's just like how we express classical mechanics in terms of Hamiltonians and Poisson brackets, so we can easily move into quantum mechanics by just tweaking the theory slightly.
I would agree that it makes things more similar to GR, but I would say that it makes things less similar to SR, which is the logical next step after Galilean/Newtonian theories of motion. I'm a big fan of the "nothing but relativity" approach to theories with ##\mathbb R^4## as the set of events. You make the very natural assumption that there's a group of smooth bijections on ##\mathbb R^4## that take straight lines to straight lines, and you prove that there are only two such groups: The Galilean group and the Poincaré group. (Actually I think the requirement of "smoothness" is unnecessarily strong). So to make the move to SR, all you have to do is to choose the other possible group. Then you have to do some work to generalize to arbitrary coordinate systems (basically just learn the definition of a manifold), and once you have done that, you can make the move to GR simply by saying that the metric isn't specifically the Minkowski metric, but a metric to be determined from an equation.

Related to Convergence in Galilean space-time

1. What is convergence in Galilean space-time?

Convergence in Galilean space-time refers to the idea that as an observer approaches an event, the time and space coordinates of that event appear to converge towards each other. This is in contrast to the concept of simultaneity in Einstein's theory of special relativity, where events that are simultaneous in one frame of reference may not be simultaneous in another frame of reference due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How does convergence in Galilean space-time differ from convergence in special relativity?

In special relativity, convergence refers to the idea that as an observer approaches the speed of light, the time and space coordinates of an event will converge towards each other. This is due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. In Galilean space-time, the concept of convergence is based on the classical laws of motion and does not involve the speed of light.

3. What are the implications of convergence in Galilean space-time?

Convergence in Galilean space-time has important implications for our understanding of motion and the nature of time. It suggests that there is a preferred frame of reference in which time and space coordinates are truly simultaneous, in contrast to special relativity where simultaneity is relative to the observer's frame of reference.

4. Can convergence in Galilean space-time be observed in everyday life?

No, convergence in Galilean space-time is not observable in everyday life. It is a theoretical concept that applies to objects moving at speeds much slower than the speed of light. The effects of convergence would only become noticeable at very high speeds, which are not attainable by everyday objects.

5. How does convergence in Galilean space-time impact our understanding of the universe?

Convergence in Galilean space-time challenges our traditional understanding of the nature of time and space. It suggests that there may be a fixed, absolute frame of reference in which all events are truly simultaneous. This has implications for our understanding of the structure of the universe and how it operates, but further research is needed to fully understand the implications of convergence in Galilean space-time.