Convergence of Complex Sequences: A Proof for Calculus Students

In summary: The "only if" part: If Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.Since Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, we have \mbox{For every } \epsilon >0,\mbox{ there exists a }N\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that }n>N\Rightarrow |z_n-z_0|<\epsilonYou do not "choose" epsilon. You have to show how to choose delta
stunner5000pt
I was supposed to have learned this in my first year but i seem to have forgotten it because i haven't kept in touch with it :mad:

Definition:A sequence of complex numbers [itex] \left{z_{n}\right}_{1}^{\infty} [/itex] is said to have the limit Z0 or to converge to Zo and we write [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} z_{n} = z_{0} [/tex] if for any epsilon>0 there exists an integer N such taht |Zn-Zo|< epsilon for all n>N
Using the given definition prove that the sequence of complex number
Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo iff Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.
[Hint: |Xn - Xo|<=|Zn - Zo|
|Yn - Yo|<=|Zn-Zo|
|Zn - Zo|<=|Xn - Xo|+|Yn - Yo|

so we suppose the first part that
Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.

well suppose it was triue then
[tex] |Z_{n} - Z_{0}| = |X_{n} - X_{0} + iY_{n} - iY_{0}| \leq |X_{n} - X_{0}| + i|Y_{n} - Y_{0}| < \delta_{1} + \delta_{2} < \epsilon [/tex]

not sure how to choose the pepsilon... do i make it the min of delta1 and delta 2 or the max?

for the other way around i get that easily
your help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You should not have an "i" in your inequality

stunner5000pt said:
I was supposed to have learned this in my first year but i seem to have forgotten it because i haven't kept in touch with it :mad:

Definition:A sequence of complex numbers [itex] \left{z_{n}\right}_{1}^{\infty} [/itex] is said to have the limit Z0 or to converge to Zo and we write [tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} z_{n} = z_{0} [/tex] if for any epsilon>0 there exists an integer N such taht |Zn-Zo|< epsilon for all n>N
Using the given definition prove that the sequence of complex number
Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo iff Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.
[Hint: |Xn - Xo|<=|Zn - Zo|
|Yn - Yo|<=|Zn-Zo|
|Zn - Zo|<=|Xn - Xo|+|Yn - Yo|

so we suppose the first part that
Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.

well suppose it was triue then
[tex] |Z_{n} - Z_{0}| = |X_{n} - X_{0} + iY_{n} - iY_{0}| \leq |X_{n} - X_{0}| + |Y_{n} - Y_{0}| < \delta_{1} + \delta_{2} < \epsilon [/tex]

not sure how to choose the pepsilon... do i make it the min of delta1 and delta 2 or the max?

for the other way around i get that easily
your help is greatly appreciated!

The iff will mandate a two-fold proof: the "if" part, and the "only if" part.

Proof:

The "if" part: If Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, then Xn converges to Xo and Yn converges to Yo.

Since Zn = Xn + iYn converges to Zo = Xo + iYo, we have

[tex]\mbox{For every } \epsilon >0,\mbox{ there exists a }N\in\mathbb{N}\mbox{ such that }n>N\Rightarrow |z_n-z_0|<\epsilon[/tex]

You do not "choose" epsilon. You have to show how to choose delta for any given epsilon.

HallsofIvy said:
You do not "choose" epsilon. You have to show how to choose delta for any given epsilon.

i am not really sure on how to use your advice...
si does that mean the delta need to be replaces by epsilon1 and 2? Thereafter wechoose a delta that is the max of either?

FAQ: Convergence of Complex Sequences: A Proof for Calculus Students

What is a "simple calculus proof"?

A simple calculus proof is a mathematical argument that uses the principles and techniques of calculus to demonstrate that a given statement or theorem is true.

Why is it important to understand simple calculus proofs?

Understanding simple calculus proofs is important because it allows us to have a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts and principles of calculus, and how they can be used to solve problems and prove mathematical statements.

What are some common techniques used in simple calculus proofs?

Common techniques used in simple calculus proofs include the use of the fundamental theorem of calculus, the chain rule, the product rule, and the quotient rule.

How can I improve my skills in creating and understanding simple calculus proofs?

Improving your skills in creating and understanding simple calculus proofs involves practicing regularly, reviewing the fundamental concepts and principles of calculus, and seeking guidance from a teacher or mentor when needed.

Are there any resources available for learning more about simple calculus proofs?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about simple calculus proofs, including textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. It may also be helpful to join a study group or seek help from a tutor or teacher.

Back