Convergence of Infinite Series with Decreasing Terms

• Thread starter JG89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
The only thing I might add is that the result that the partial sums of the harmonic series are unbounded can be proved directly from the definition of convergence, without using the divergence of the harmonic series. That is, if a is a sequence with infinitely many terms greater than epsilon, then the partial sums of a are unbounded. I think that is the key idea in this proof, though I haven't checked.
JG89

Homework Statement

Prove that if the infinite series a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n, with positive decreasing terms, converges to a value A, then the limit as n approaches infinity of n*a_n = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume [tex] \forall n \in Z^{+} ,\exists \epsilon > 0: n(a_n) \ge \epsilon [/tex], where Z+ is the set of all positive integers and of course, epsilon is fixed. Now, if n(a_n) >= epsilon, then a_n >= epsilon/n

If epsilon >= 1, then a_n >= epsilon/n >= 1/n, for all n. But this can't be true because then
a_1 >= 1/1, a_2 >= 1/2, a_3 >= 1/3 and so on, implying that a_1 + a_2 + ... + a_n >= 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... = harmonic series, which diverges, and so a_n diverges, but a_n really converges.

Now we consider 0 < epsilon < 1:

There exists a fixed positive number c such that c*epsilon = 1. If n(a_n) >= epsilon, then
cn(a_n) >= c*epsilon = 1, implying that c(a_n) >= 1/n for all positive integers n.

And so, c(a_1) >= 1/1, c(a_2) >= 1/2, c(a_3) >= 1/3 and so on, implying:

c(a_1) + c(a_2) + c(a_3) = c(a_1 + a_2 + ..) >= 1/1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + ... = harmonic series, which diverges, and so the infinite series c(a_1) + c(a_2) + .. must also diverge. However, c(a_1 + a_2 + ...) converges to the value cA, since c is a fixed value.

These two contradictions both lead to the conclusion that there doesn't exist an epsilon such that n(a_n) >= epsilon for all positive integers n, meaning that n(a_n) < epsilon for all positive epsilon and for n large enough, meaning that the limit is 0.

QED

This proof looks fine to me, but the solution seems too simple. What is wrong with the proof?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
it seems that should work. maybe clarify a bit why you can have n*a_n > epsilon. also if you feel like you can put all this into a single step by noticing epsilon is fixed, while sum(1/n) goes unbounded independently of epsilon. you might need to prove that sum(1/n) is unbounded.

if sum(a_n) converges it has a bound M say so that

M>sum(a_n)>epsilon*(sum(1/N) > M for suff large N. contradiction. so you can choose epsilon > M/sum(1/N) for N sufficiently large...[edit: for any N!]

It is too simple. You didn't use that the sequence is monotone decreasing, which is an essential assumption. There error starts with "If n(a_n) >= epsilon". You seem to be assuming that is true for all integers. You can't assume that. The correct statement would be that there is an epsilon such that for any N>0, there is an n>N such that n(a_n)>epsilon. That is what n(a_n) does not converge to zero means. The correct proof does look a lot like the proof that the harmonic series diverges. Want to try it again? Here's a counterexample to think about. Define a_i=0 except where i=2^j for some integer j, then a_i=1/i. See? No monotone decreasing, no theorem.

Last edited:
Ok, I just looked up the proof of the harmonic series and tried to model this proof after that, trying to get an infinite number of 1/2's...

Assume that there exists an epsilon such that for any N > 0, there exists a positive integer n > N such that n(a_n) > epsilon. Let n1,n2,n3, ... be integers such that n1*2 < n2, 2*n2 < n3, 2*n3 < n4 and so on and for each ni, ni(a_ni) > epsilon.

Then the infinite sum a1 + a2 + a3 + ... + an1 + a(n1 + 1) + ... + an2 + ... can be grouped as follows:

(a1 + a2 + ... + an1) + (a(n+1) + ... + an2) + (a(n2+1) + ... + an3) + ...

For the first group, a1 > a2 > ... > an1 > epsilon/n1 and so a1 + a2 + ... + an1 > n1(an1) = epsilon.

For the second group, a(n1 +1) + a(n1 + 2) + ... + a(n2) > (n2 - n1)a(n2).

Since n2 > 2n1, then n2 - 2n1 > 0 <-> 2n2 - 2n1 > n2 <-> 2(n2 - n1)> n2 <-> n2-n1>n2/2

And so a(n1+1) + ... + a(n2) > (n2-n1)a(n2) > (n2/2)(epsilon/n2) = epsilon/2.

For the third group, a(n2 + 1) + ... + a(n3) > (n3 - n2)a(n3) > (n3/2)(epsilon/n3) = epsilon/2

And so (a1 + a2 + ... + an1) + (a(n1 +1) + ... + an2) + ... > epsilon + epsilon/2 + epsilon/2 + ... = epsilon(1 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2).

The series 1 + 1/2 + 1/2 + ... diverges (this is used to prove the harmonic series diverges), and since epsilon is fixed, epsilon(1 + 1/2 + 1/2 + ...) also diverges, showing that a1 + a2 + a3 + ... diverges, even though it really converges. This is a contradiction and so n*an has a limit of 0.

That's it. Congratulations. I haven't read every line of the proof, because I'm lazy, but I see all of the right ideas. If you believe it, I do.

Related to Convergence of Infinite Series with Decreasing Terms

1. How do I approach a series/sequence proof?

When approaching a series/sequence proof, it is important to start by understanding the definition of the series or sequence you are working with. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques such as the limit comparison test, ratio test, or direct comparison test to determine the convergence or divergence of the series or sequence.

2. What is the difference between a series and a sequence?

A series is the sum of the terms in a sequence, while a sequence is an ordered list of numbers. In other words, a series is the total value obtained by adding up all the terms in a sequence.

3. How do I prove the convergence of a series/sequence?

To prove the convergence of a series/sequence, you can use various tests such as the integral test, root test, or alternating series test. These tests use different properties of the series/sequence to determine its convergence or divergence.

4. What is the significance of convergence in a series/sequence proof?

The convergence of a series/sequence is important because it indicates that the sum or limit of the series/sequence exists and has a finite value. This allows us to make precise calculations and predictions in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

5. Can a series/sequence have both convergent and divergent terms?

Yes, a series/sequence can have both convergent and divergent terms. In such cases, the series/sequence can still be considered convergent if the sum or limit of the convergent terms is finite, even if the divergent terms go to infinity.