Convergence of Probability Function for E(|X|)

In summary, the conversation revolves around the statement that E(|X|) < infinity if and only if I(|X| > n) -> 0 as n goes to infinity, where I is the indicator function. The direction of the statement is discussed, with one direction being easy and the other direction being questioned. The assumption of X being bounded is also brought up and it is noted that it may not be necessary. The conversation also includes a question about the meaning of I(|X| > n) and a suggestion to continue the discussion on a different forum.
jk_zhengli
Hi guys, I have a question.

E(|X|) < infinity iff E|X|I(|X| > n) -> 0 as n goes to infinity, where I is the indicator function.=> this direction is easy and I have it solved.

I wonder if anyone has any idea of how to deal with <=. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jk_zhengli said:
Hi guys, is the following statement true?

E(|X|) < infinity iff I(|X| > n) -> 0 as n goes to infinity.

=> this direction is easy and I have it solved. I wonder if <= is true? I think the additional assumption of X is bounded would make it true, but this is condition necessary? Thanks.

What do you mean by I(|X| > n) ? Is it P{|X| > n}, or something else? If that is what you mean, I think the result is false: P{|X| > n}→ 0 is true for ANY random variable on ℝ, because we have P{-n ≤ X ≤ n}→ 1 as n → ∞ for any real-valued X. In order to have E |X| < ∞ you need P{|X| > n} to go to zero quickly enough. For example, the discrete random variable X with probability mass function p(n) = c/n2, n = 1,2,3, ... has E X = ∞. Note, however, that it is not necessary to have X bounded, because many familiar random variables are unbounded but have finite expectations (or even finite moments of all orders).

RGV

What is I(|X| > n)? The probability that the absolute value of X is greater than n? If that's the case, have you heard of the Cauchy distribution?

If not, what is I(|X| > n)?

Related to Convergence of Probability Function for E(|X|)

What is a probability function?

A probability function is a mathematical representation of the likelihood of an event occurring. It assigns a numerical value between 0 and 1 to each possible outcome, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty.

How is a probability function different from a probability distribution?

A probability function is a formula that describes the probability of each individual outcome, while a probability distribution is a graphical representation of all possible outcomes and their associated probabilities.

What are the types of probability functions?

There are two main types of probability functions: discrete and continuous. Discrete probability functions are used for events with a finite number of outcomes, while continuous probability functions are used for events with an infinite number of possible outcomes.

How do you calculate the probability of an event using a probability function?

To calculate the probability of an event using a probability function, you simply plug in the value of the event into the function. For example, if you want to find the probability of rolling a 6 on a standard die, you would plug in 6 to the probability function for a fair six-sided die, which would give you a probability of 1/6.

What is the relationship between a probability function and a cumulative distribution function?

The cumulative distribution function (CDF) is the sum of all probabilities up to a certain point. It is closely related to the probability function, but instead of giving the probability for a single outcome, it gives the probability for a range of outcomes. The probability function is used to calculate the CDF for each individual outcome, which can then be used to find the probability of a range of outcomes.