Convergence of Series with Square Roots

• MHB
  • Thread starter shamieh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, series divergence/convergence is a mathematical concept used to determine whether a series converges or diverges as the number of terms increases. This is determined by evaluating the limit of the series as the number of terms approaches infinity. Common tests used to determine series divergence/convergence include the ratio test, comparison test, integral test, and alternating series test. This concept is important in various fields and allows for the evaluation of numerical approximations. A series can only either converge or diverge, but there are also oscillating series that alternate between two or more values.
shamieh
Determine whether the following series converge or diverge. You may use any appropriate test provided you explain your answer.

\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} (\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}})\)

So it looks like this problem wants me to do telescoping series or something of that nature but I really want to avoid writing out those terms, can't I just split this into two sums and say this:

\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}}\)

Evaluating both of the series using p series test since, p \(\displaystyle \le\) 1 for both series then the whole series diverges?

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
shamieh said:
Determine whether the following series converge or diverge. You may use any appropriate test provided you explain your answer.

\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} (\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}})\)

So it looks like this problem wants me to do telescoping series or something of that nature but I really want to avoid writing out those terms,

If I were you, I would try to curb your distaste for writing out those terms. ;)

can't I just split this into two sums and say this:

\(\displaystyle \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1} \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \sum^{\infty}_{n = 1}\frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}}\)

Evaluating both of the series using p series test since, p \(\displaystyle \le\) 1 for both series then the whole series diverges?

Is this correct?

No, because you run into $\infty-\infty$ issues (that subtraction is undefined).

So I can't use p series at all? Are you sure about that?

shamieh said:
So I can't use p series at all? Are you sure about that?

Pretty sure! And I do think the original series converges, so the p series test simply doesn't apply in this situation.

So would you suggest I write this out as a telescoping series and see what I'm left with?

shamieh said:

So it looks like this problem wants me to do telescoping series or something of that nature but I really want to avoid writing out those terms, can't I just split this into two sums and say this:

Is this correct?

I'd write down what the finite sum (up to N terms) would be and then seeing what happens as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} N \to \infty \end{align*}$

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^N{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n+1}} \right) } &= \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} \right) + \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{4}} \right) + \dots + \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{N}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{N + 1} } \right) \\ &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{1}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{N + 1}} \\ &= 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{N + 1}} \end{align*}$

and so

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}} \right) } &= \lim_{N \to \infty}\sum_{n = 1}^N{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}} \right) } \\ &= \lim_{N \to \infty} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{N + 1}} \right) \\ &= 1 - 0 \\ &= 1 \end{align*}$

The sum is clearly convergent (and actually can be evaulated).

- - - Updated - - -

shamieh said:
Actually, no, the series diverges. So how are you getting converges? Looks like the p series will indeed work then?

Look.
https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=summation++++1/sqrt(n)+-+1/(sqrt(n)+++1)

It would help if you write out the series correctly. You have put $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{ n = 1}^{\infty}{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n} + 1} \right) } \end{align*}$ when it should be $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}} \right) } \end{align*}$. The series is convergent.

It would help if you write out the series correctly. You have put $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{ n = 1}^{\infty}{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n} + 1} \right) } \end{align*}$ when it should be $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{ \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{n + 1}} \right) } \end{align*}$. The series is convergent.
Yes that would help now wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

Thank you for typing that out, I found that same result. Do I need to say that the series converges to 1 or just simply that it is convergent?

It depends on what the question is asking. If it asks if the series is convergent, just say it's convergent. If it asks what the sum converges to, say it.

FAQ: Convergence of Series with Square Roots

What is series divergence/convergence?

Series divergence/convergence is a mathematical concept used to determine whether a series (a summation of an infinite sequence of numbers) converges (approaches a finite value) or diverges (does not approach a finite value) as the number of terms increases.

How is series divergence/convergence determined?

The convergence or divergence of a series is determined by evaluating its limit as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit is a finite value, the series converges. If the limit is infinite or does not exist, the series diverges.

What are some common tests used to determine series divergence/convergence?

Some common tests used to determine series divergence/convergence include the ratio test, the comparison test, the integral test, and the alternating series test. These tests compare the given series to a known series with known convergence or divergence to determine the behavior of the given series.

Why is series divergence/convergence important?

Series divergence/convergence is important in many areas of science and mathematics, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to determine the behavior of infinite sequences and evaluate the convergence of numerical approximations.

Can a series both converge and diverge at the same time?

No, a series can only either converge or diverge. A series cannot approach a finite value and not approach a finite value at the same time. However, there are some series that are neither convergent nor divergent, known as oscillating series. These series do not approach a single value, but instead alternate between two or more values.